Full Council meeting, 20/07/2021 – minutes

WELLESBOURNE & WALTON PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes for a meeting of the Council on Tuesday 20th July 2021 at 7.15 pm at St Peter’s Church, Wellesbourne
Present: Chairman – Cllr Mrs Prior Councillors: Blake, Cannon, Dipple, Jackson, Kendall, Keogh-Bywater, Shepherd Clerk: Mrs Scriven
District/County Cllrs: 2 Members of public: 4

1. Welcome and announcements – Cllr Harte had given his resignation from the Council and would be missed both as a valuable member of the Council and for his contributions, especially during the floods and pandemic.

2. Apologies for Absence Cllrs Mrs Bolton & Mrs Patalong

3. Declarations of Interest – none

4. Confirmation of the order of the agenda – agreed with the following additions: Item 11.5 Planning document from Cllr Parry, Item 16.5 Repair Café and Item 16.6 Infrastructure bid to SDC.

5. Identification of any items that might be resolved for confidential session – none

6. Confirmation of the minutes of the Council meetings on 22nd June 2021 – Accepted

7. Matters arising from the minutes not included in the agenda
7.1 External Audit – update Clerk – As the PC income exceeds £200,000 the Council was subject to intermediate level audit. The requirements for this were confirmation of the PC’s registration as an Employer with HMRC and evidence of the Council’s consideration of the “Except for” matters on the previous years external audit. The Council’s Employer Ref and screenshot of the payments made for Tax and NIC from the Government Gateway page had been submitted, along with extracts of the minutes of the Council showing the corrective actions taken to address these matters.

8. Open session for members of the public to raise any matters of relevance to the Parish
Mr Cawthorne, Hammond Green – said he was disappointed to see the PC had supported planning application 21/1757/FUL and invited the PC to review at a site visit. The Chairman confirmed there had been an amendment application made and suggested that Cllrs consider the amendments once received from SDC.

Mr Forbes-McGlen, School Road – Asked the PC if they would support the opening of a Repair Café in the village. It was noted there were over 100 of these facilities where volunteers with a variety of skills help visitors to mend broken items rather than disposing of them for new. To date there had been 200 responses from interested residents and 5 volunteers with varied skills. The set up costs were low, £49 for registration plus insurance and any initial set up costs/room hire etc. To be discussed within the agenda.

Cllr Cannon joined the meeting

9. District & County Council matters
9.1 Cllr Kendall – said the Ettington waste facility had burnt to the ground yesterday and as a result there would be no blue bin collection this week whilst another site to take waste to was sought.
9.2 Cllr O’Donnell report – noted. Cllr O’Donnell had sent apologies as unable to attend the meeting. Cllrs asked if Cllr O’Donnell could assist with the speed reduction issues on the A429.

10. Future Council meetings
10.1 Discussion of PC meeting arrangements going forward – It was agreed that following the pandemic, the PC meeting room was insufficient for public meetings and that committee and extra ordinary meetings should be held at the Methodist Hall and all Full Council meetings should be held at St Peter’s Church due to larger attendance, to be reviewed in March 2022. As the Full Council meeting had been put back to the end of the month it was agreed that the August Full Council would not take place but noted there would be an Extra Ordinary meeting of the Council for the potential developers of Wellesbourne Hall to address the Council.

11. Planning
11.1 Decisions
11.2 Permission with conditions
11.3 Applications
11.3.1
21/02269/TREE T1 – Conifer fell
At 31 Chapel Street, Wellesbourne For Mr John Batchelor – Allscope property maintenance
Planning Officer Assistant Planner Date 3rd August 2021
Support fell as detrimental to the property. The Council would ask that a suitable replacement tree be planted in its place.
11.4 Pre-planning meeting with Developers for Wellesbourne Hall update Cllrs Mrs Prior and Mrs Bolton met with potential developers for Wellesbourne Hall who were looking to build six new dwellings, convert a garage into living accommodation and renovate an existing cottage on the site. It was intended that the properties would be rental only and that the entrance to the site would be widened to accommodate two-way traffic. It was also intended that there would be a road access from the gate at the end of Church Walk which would serve the four houses in the walled garden. The developers intended to submit planning applications for phase 1 in August and phase 2 in September and asked to present their planned development to the Council. Cllrs agreed to meet and listen to the proposals on the understanding that the PC would listen and ask any relevant questions but would offer no advice or decisions.
11.5 Planning document from Cllr Parry – Cllrs had been provided with a useful summarised planning response guidance document.

12

12. Possible land transfers (Persimmon)
12.1 Meeting with Persimmon update – It appeared that Persimmon had mistakenly understood the PC only wanted to take over the play areas on Ettington Park, the Grange and Mountford Place. A useful discussion took place with Persimmon outlining areas that WCC would be maintaining to also include three unadopted roads and concluded with Persimmon going away to recalculate the areas concerned returning to the PC with a revised commuted sum offer for the land. It was noted that the Sec106 agreement for Mountford Place did not include the condition that the PC had to be offered the land prior to appointing a maintenance contractor but due to difficulties appointing a company Persimmon were willing to consider the possibility of transfer of the land to the PC. It was noted that a similar situation had arisen on Ettington Park and Cllrs DJ, SJ, AP were to attend a meeting on site with the Management Company to discuss how this could be resolved.

13. Finance Committee
13.1 Record of payments made under delegated power by the Clerk as per the attached list – noted
13.2 Record of staff salary payments made under delegated power by the Clerk as per the attached list – noted
13.3 Management reports (May) RFO – noted. Cllrs raised concern that the reports were later than anticipated, the Clerk said the RFO had been later submitting the reports as he had been working on the Year End AGAR and had been on leave.
Action: Request at the Finance WP meeting that the RFO supplies the reports no more than one month in arrears By: Finance wp
13.4 Date of next meeting: 21st September 2021

14. CILS Expenditure
14.1 Consideration of CILS fund expend for community benefit – Cllr AP
14.1.1 Speed Aware Campaign – Quote for speed recognition camera device from Warwickshire Police – Cllrs agreed WWPC should have its own equipment.
14.1.2
Recommendation to purchase Speed Aware camera for the use of the newly trained Speed Aware Campaign team from the CILS to the value of £1000 + vat Prop Cllr AP, 2nd Cllr SJ – carried
14.2 Xmas lighting – Quote for maintenance/addition of new timers for street displays – it was explained that some of the existing timers were failing due to wear and tear and additional posts were required to enable the children’s competition to design a light to continue.
14.2.1
Recommendation to proceed with quote of £2100 + vat for replacement timers and installation of new timers where required from the CILS Prop Cllr AP, 2nd Cllr OC – carried

15. Highways, Environment & Emergency Committee – Cllr SJ
15.1 Working party meeting update – Cllr SJ said the WP had agreed the sites for the 20s Plenty Speed Reduction Campaign and identified the start of Bridge Street (by the one way system) to the Co-op but it was noted that more signs and banners would be preferable. It was hoped to launch during the school holidays moving to Newbold Road to coincide with the return to school in September. It was noted that the Lengthsman/Handyman could be asked to install the frames required for the banners and install the signage. It was noted that there was a nationwide campaign to make 20 mph mandatory in built up areas.
15.2 Consideration of response to WCC in relation to the possible introduction of 20mph limits in residential areas – Cllr SJ/AP
15.3 Consideration of expansion of the 20s Plenty where people live campaign – Quote
Recommendation to accept the quote to purchase further 20s Plenty where people live campaign signage using funds vired from general reserves up to £700 (underspend from the HEE budget of £700 that went into general reserve as campaign not ready at year end) Prop Cllr SJ, 2nd Cllr AB
Carried.
Cllr AS voted against.
15.4 Highway safety concerns about the A429 – consideration of report to WCC (to include residents concerns) – Cllrs expressed concerns about the significant issue with speed at this location and a recent serious accident at the site. The team attending the accident said the national speed limit signs should be another 100 yards up the hill, the islands were virtually straight so offered no traffic calming and there was insufficient time for motorists to react to the unmarked pedestrian crossing. Cllrs were gathering information.
Action: Collate information being sought of incidents at this location and the concerns of residents living there and send to Police and WCC Highways requesting a face to face meeting to discuss the problems and concerns of residents who are being exposed to danger daily. Contact Graham Stanley at WCC Highways BY Cllrs AP/SJ

By Cllr Parry
15.5 Date of next meeting: 24th August

16. Community Facilities Committee – Cllr AP
16.1 Dog Close working party meeting update Cllr AP – at the last meeting the WP agreed to explore orchards and wildflower meadows.
The lease had now been signed but the map attached did not accord with the Land Registry map so this had gone back to the solicitors to be amended. A Lawful Development Certificate had been applied for from SDC but had not yet been validated.
16.2 Consideration of fences at Dog Close – Cllrs considered quotes A & B for the replacement fencing at Dog Close noting work could not commence until the new map had been attached to the lease.
16.2.1
Recommendation to accept one of two quotes obtained for the fence work to commence at Dog Close –
Cllrs agreed to accept quote A Prop Cllr AP, 2nd Cllr DK – carried
16.3 Consideration of costs associated with gifted land adjoining Dog Close
16.3.1
Recommendation for the Council to accept associated legal fees for transfer of the land adjoining Dog Close into PC ownership of £950.00 + vat (£190.00) as well as Land Registry disbursements of £18.00 + vat (£3.60) total of £1161.60 gross from reserves Prop Cllr AP, 2nd Cllr DK – carried
16.4 Consideration of payment of RICS valuation to ascertain if Capital Gains Tax would be payable on the transfer of ownership of land adjacent to Dog Close
Recommendation the Council pays for the RICs valuation if required up to the value of £2000 from reserves Prop Cllr AP, 2nd Clr DK – carried

13

16.5 Repair Café – Cllrs felt this would be a valuable facility for the community and Cllr AP said there could be funding available from the
Charity Wellesbourne & Walton Community Cares. It was agreed that Cllr AP would investigate possible venues.
16.6 Infrastructure bid to SDC – two applications had been made one for a sports hall and the other for a skate ramp. It was noted that
Wellesbourne had never received any funding for leisure and the existing facilities had been done though the precept and fund raising.

17. Reopening of Council Offices
17.1 Report on considerations for staff return to office working and suggestion for screen – it was noted that the Admin Assistant had raised the need to move near a window for air circulation and had offered to work from home on the Fridays the Clerk worked to keep office numbers to two. The Cllrs expressed their gratitude to the staff for managing the Council business from home for so long and for their flexibility upon return to the office. The Clerk was seeking bespoke screening for the office inner door.
17.2
Recommendation the staff return to work in the office on 16th August 2021 – pending no change in Covid regulations
Recommendation that a screen be purchased for the office stable door from general reserves up to £1500 + Vat Prop Cllr AP, 2nd Cllr Dk carried

18. Wellesbourne & Walton News
20s Plenty speed reduction campaign
New car park at Village Hall

19. Cllrs & Clerk exchange of information
Cllrs DK, AS, OC, AB – none
Cllr TD asked if WCC could be asked to attend to the hole in the road outside the Old Post Office at Walton.
Cllr SJ said it was good to that following communication with WCC about the lack of cutting that the verges and some traffic islands had been cut back.
Cllr MKB said the Shed continue to block the footway with tables and chairs as well as the back end of a car using the charging point at the rear of the shop.
Cllr AP said she would put the link to the school traffic consultation on the Facebook page.
Clerk – none

20. Dates of next meetings
3rd August 2021 Full Council (Ex ord meeting)
24th August 2021 HEE
10th August 2021 Community Facilities

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting closed at 21.48pm

Chairman …….Cllr Prior…………..

Signed…………………………………….

Date………………………………………..
(Completed 21st July 2021)

14