WELLESBOURNE & WALTON PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes for a virtual meeting of the Finance Committee of the Council on Tuesday 15th December 2020 at 7.00pm via ZOOM online meeting facility
Present: Chairman: Cllr Mrs Bolton Councillors: Blake, Jackson, Kendall, Prior Clerk: Mrs Scriven Finance Officer: Mr Thomas Members of the public: 0
2. Confirmation of the order of the agenda – numbering incorrect at 9.2, to be amended – agreed
3. Apologies for Absence – Cllr Mrs Paige-Stimson
4. Identification of any items that might be resolved for confidential session – Items 9.4,9.5 and 10 as grants – agreed
Prop: Cllr RB, 2nd Cllr AP – carried Councillor votes: AB-yes, RB-yes, SJ-yes, DK-yes, AP-yes
5. Declarations of interest
Cllr Jackson declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to WSCC as a Trustee
Cllr Mrs Prior declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to WSCC as a Trustee & a pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to the Chairman’s allowance as the recipient
6. Confirmation of the minutes of 10th November 2020
Prop Cllr DK, 2nd Cllr AP carried Councillor votes: AB-yes, RB-yes, SJ-yes, DK-yes, AP-yes
7. Matters arising (not included in the agenda) – none
8. Open session for members of the public to raise any matters of relevance to the Parish – none
9. 21/22 Budget
9.1 Monthly Accounts report– noted
9.2 Revised committee budgets – Cllrs considered the revised budgets and agreed the new proposed committee totals Responsible Finance Officer joined the meeting
9.3 Effect of revision on overall budget – a reduction in committee budget gave more flexibility for other financial matters brought about by the impact of Covid.
9.4 Consideration of the needs of WSCC – 21/22 – Moved to confidential
9.5 Consideration and finalisation of the draft grant allocations – Moved to confidential
9.6 Recommendation for precept request to Council
Recommendation to Full Council of a precept request for £250,000 Prop: Cllr DK, 2nd Cllr RB – carried
Councillor votes: AB-yes, RB-yes, SJ-yes, DK-yes, AP-yes
10. Consideration of needs of WSCC – 20/21 – Moved to confidential
Actions in advance of the next meeting:
1) Put together a list of the Council’s financial commitment if the Council were to close permanently for insurance purposes By Clerk
2) Produce a report of exactly what is in the Council reserves currently – itemising the reserve funds, Sec106,
Unilateral Agreement funds, Grant funds still being discharged (Lenghtsman) and any other funds held By RFO
3) Ask WSCC for a full statement of accounts and financial forecast
11. External Audit – Year End Return
Clerk – Section 1. The Annual Governance Statement – the auditor confirms the compliance of the Council to follow the procedures in accordance with the proper practices and with no findings.
RFO – Section 2. The Accounting Statement – the auditor found the accounting to be in accordance with the proper practices but raised three findings with the completion of the AGAR:
1) double counting of expenses in box 6 – this was caused by an entry error where the date was changed and not the name on a pending payment related to the WSCC which unknowingly duplicated the transaction
2) The valuation of the WSCC was adjusted to reflect the finished build value – the auditor advised that the unfinished build should have been valued last year at the completed cost as this was the intended value of the completed build.
3) Inadequate explanation was given for the difference of £2856 between boxes 7 & 8 – this amount was not immediately traceable before audit but on closer inspection it became obvious this related to the unclaimed VAT outstanding at year end.
The RFO said due to rounding up and down by the accounting software it was impossible to account to the penny but the reconcile was under £1 difference once the amendments suggested by the auditor were made.
It was noted that Cllrs had not received a copy of the amended Accounting Statement – the Clerk was to forward this.
The auditors findings had been noted and would be addressed at the 20/21 year end
12. Possible amendment to the presentation of the monthly accounts – Cllr Jackson asked for an additional column to be added to the accounts showing the percentage of possible spend of the remaining budget headings in order that expenditure could be managed more rigorously throughout the year, this was agreed.
The timing of the monthly management reports was critical to the effective accounting of the committee budgets and the Council as a whole. The RFO agreed but drew the Committee’s attention to the time constraints under which he worked.
13. Cllrs & Clerk exchange of information – none
14. Date of next meeting – 26th January 2020 47
Under Section 100A of the Local Government Act 1972, In view of the confidential nature of the business about to be transacted, it is advisable in the public interest, as if members of the public were present during the consideration of such business, there would be a disclosure to them of exempt information under paras 1 and 11 and Part 1 Schedule 12A of the said Act, that the public will be excluded.
9.4 Consideration of the needs of WSCC – 21/22 – Cllrs considered the impact of closure due to Covid restrictions on its leisure centre and its employees as part of the grant allocations for 21/22.
9.5 Consideration and finalisation of the draft grant allocations – Cllrs considered and finalised grant allocations for 21/22
10. Consideration of needs of WSCC – 20/21 – Cllrs considered the immediate and ongoing impact of closure due to Covid restrictions on its leisure centre and employed staff for 20/21. Recommendation to Full Council at February meeting
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting closed at 8.45pm
Chairman……Cllr Mrs Bolton……..
Completed 16th December 2020