WELLESBOURNE & WALTON PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes for a virtual meeting of the Finance Committee of the Council on Tuesday 10th November 2020 at 7.00pm via ZOOM online meeting facility
Present: Chairman: Cllr Prior Councillors: Blake, Mrs Bolton, Jackson, Kendall Clerk: Mrs Scriven
Responsible Finance Officer: Mr Thomas Members of public: 0
2. Appointment of Chairman to the committee
Cllr Bolton was nominated to be Chairman of the Finance Committee Prop Cllr Prior, 2nd Cllr Kendall, carried
Cllr Votes – AP-yes, DK-yes, AB-yes, SJ-yes Cllr Bolton accepted the nomination.
Cllr Mrs Bolton took the Chair
3. Confirmation of the order of the agenda – add new item 13 WSCC possible financial support document, re number existing following items – agreed.
Cllr Votes – AB-yes, RB-yes, DK-yes, SJ-yes, AP-yes
4. Apologies for Absence Cllr Mrs Paige-Stimson
5. Identification of any items that might be resolved for confidential session -Items 12 Grants and !3 WSCC as sensitive financial information – agreed.
Cllr Votes – AB-yes, RB-yes, DK-yes, SJ-yes, AP-yes
6. Declarations of interest
Cllr Mrs Prior declared a non-pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to the WSCC as a Trustee
Cllr Jackson declared a non-pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to the WSCC & Chedham’s Yard as a Trustee for both
Cllr Blake declared a non-pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to the Village Hall as Treasurer & Scouts as Parent representative
Cllr Mrs Bolton declared a non-pecuniary interest in the Village Hall as a Trustee & the Council representative
7. Confirmation of the minutes of 17th December 2019 – agreed
Prop: Cllr Kendall, 2nd Cllr Mrs Prior – carried Cllr Votes – RB-yes, DK-yes, AP-yes (Cllrs AB/SJ were not committee members at the time of the minutes)
8. Matters arising (not included in the agenda) – none
9. Open session for members of the public to raise any matters of relevance to the Parish – none
10. External Audit update – Responsible Finance Officer
The auditor had raised two areas of concern, the first related to a correction made in error on a SAGE ledger related to the WSCC building contract invoices and the second to the revision of the WSCC value in the Fixed Asset Register once the build works had completed.
Cllr AP said errors were of significant concern as queries generated by the auditor elevated the cost of audit to the Council.
11. Monthly Accounts update Responsible Finance Officer
The RFO reported no concern with the monthly accounts but raised concern regarding carry forward of significant reserves held due to Sec 106 and Unilateral Agreement funds. Cllrs noted that works anticipated had been delayed due to the pandemic but hoped that some of this work would be carried out prior to year-end reducing the reserves proportionally. It was noted that the Council had unexpected rates to pay on the office and youth hut building, the Clerk had asked for a re-valuation on the derelict hut. Office utilities would be less than anticipated due to the staff currently working from home.
Under Section 100A of the Local Government Act 1972, In view of the confidential nature of the business about to be transacted, it is advisable in the public interest, as if members of the public were present during the consideration of such business, there would be a disclosure to them of exempt information under paras 1 and 11 and Part 1 Schedule 12A of the said Act, that the public will be excluded.
12. Grant applications update – Cllr AP
12.1 Consideration of grant applications received (x11 applications)
Cllrs considered all applications for grants and agreed a draft budget to be finalised by the committee in December.
Cllrs Mrs Bolton and Blake left the meeting in accord with their declarations
Cllr Mrs Bolton and Blake re-joined the meeting
13. WSCC – Possible funding support document
Cllrs considered the document and the financial impact of the enforced closure to the PC owned leisure centre during the pandemic. Cllrs agreed that additional support may be needed and asked the WSCC Trustees for further financial information.
Cllrs returned to non confidential business.
14. Community Events Gift update Clerk – It was noted that this policy had not been completed prior to the Finance Chairman’s resignation from the PC. It did have allocation of £1000 against budget and it was agreed to put this onto a future agenda.
15. Budget 2020/2021
15.1 Consideration of Committee Budgets for precept – Cllrs considered the individual committee budgets and confirmed a provisional draft budget for review in December. The committee’s view was that the precept should not be raised this year, given the current economic situation
16. 4 Year Development Plan
16.1 Consideration of Development Plan – Cllrs agreed that due to the intention not to increase the precept, the PC would not be able to justify putting funds into the development plan for the coming financial year.
17. Cllrs & Clerk exchange of information
Cllr Prior – none
Cllr Blake – none
Cllr Kendall – none
Cllr Jackson – none
Cllr Bolton – none
RFO – none
Clerk – none
18. Date of next meeting – 15th December 2020
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting closed at 9.15pm
Chairman………Cllr Mrs Bolton……..