WELLESBOURNE and WALTON PARISH COUNCIL
The minutes for the Meeting of the Council on Tuesday 5th November 2019 at 7.30 pm at the Methodist Hall Bridge Street Wellesbourne

Present: Chairman: Cllr Mrs Prior Councillors: Mrs Bolton, Mrs Burnard, Cannon, Harte, Jackson, Kendall, Mrs Paige-Stimson, Shepherd Clerk: Mrs Scriven County/District Councillors: 2 Members of public: 8

1. Welcome and announcements

2. Apologies for Absence – Cllrs Dipple, Mann

3. Declarations of Interest
Cllr Mrs Prior declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to WSCC as a Trustee and a pecuniary interest in the
Chairman’s Allowance as the recipient
Cllr Kendall declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to WSCC as a Trustee and item 10, 1 & 2 planning as the
applicant was known to him
Cllr Jackson declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to WSCC as a Trustee
Cllr Mrs Bolton declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to the Village Hall as the Parish Council representative

4. Confirmation of the order of the agenda – add Community Events Loan Fund to follow item 11.8 – agreed

5. Identification of any items that might be resolved for confidential session – Item 13.3 as a legal matter – agreed

6. Confirmation of the minutes of the Council Meeting 1st October – Item 9 change to read “Planning enforcement had confirmed the planning permission for Willett House including the demolition works that was yet to be approved, was approved in late September”, item 13.2 Newbold Road – add “to provide more parking spaces” – agreed with amendments

7. Matters arising (not included in the agenda)
Bus stop on Kineton Road – the post had been straightened but there was still no bus stop sign
Action: Notify Stagecoach that the sign is still outstanding By: Office
Parish Council website – review of the site outstanding
Action: Contact the Admin Assistant to discuss the website and arrange a meeting with webmaster By: Cllr YP-S
Waste survey consultation – The Council felt the survey was heavily weighted with three inappropriately worded questions and no opportunity for comment or suggestions.
Action: Write to the Head of SDC Environmental Team outlining the above comments by the Council. By: Office

8. Open Session for members of the public to raise any matters of relevance to the Parish
Mrs Dane, Newbold Road, asked if the developers for Willett House site could be reminded to clean the roads which were
covered in mud from the lorries leaving the site daily.
Mr Rose, Grange Gardens, gave information about the flu vaccination programme, noting a nasal spray vaccine was now available
for children from the age of two years old.
Mr Hargis, Chapel Street, asked how the new recycling plans of SDC would impact Ettington Road recycling facility.
Miss McDonaugh, Mountford Close, raised concern about the chaos caused by builder vehicles during the school run.
Mr Davies, Oxford Way, suggested that for a suitable subject for the Annual Parish Meeting would be the airfield and invitations
to be sent to SDC, the airfield owners and the business owners in order that a balanced view be given for residents who did not
understand the full implications of what had happened.

9. District & County Council matters – Cllr Kendall/ Cllr Mrs Parry
Cllr Parry said SDC recycling contract had come to an end and new contract costs were much higher. As a result of this SDC had
looked into joining a conglomerate with its own recycling plant which would enable SDC to provide dry waste recycling at a more
reasonable cost although it was noted that the contract cost would be higher than previously paid.
SDC legal team were investigating any possible breaches in the MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) and had employed the
services of an aviation expert to visit the airfield businesses and were awaiting their report. Cllrs raised their concern about
possible proposals to shorten one runway and close another which would have a detrimental impact on flying function of the
airfield.

10. Planning
10.1 Decisions
1. Refusal
19/01719/FUL Erection of two bedroomed bungalow, access and parking
At 88 Mountford Close, Wellesbourne For Mr J Kendrick
Noted
2 Permission with conditions
19/01682/FUL Extension and conversion of existing garage to create two bed holiday let
At The Elms, Loxley Road, Wellesbourne For Mr & Mrs Bird
Noted

Page 56

10.2 Applications
1.
19/02932/TREE T14 – conifer x2 – Crown lift (a) by 4-5 metres (b) Crown reduce by 2-3 metres and crown lift by 2 metres
At 30 Church Walk For Mrs Susan Harland
Planning officer Assistant Planner Date 7 November 2019
No objection
2.
19/02788/TREE T1 – sycamore – Reduce crown by 2-3 metres, T2 – yew x2 – Prune northern crown back by 1-2 metres. Lift northern crown by 1-1.5 metres , T3 – elder – Reduce crown by 1.5 metres, T4,T5,T7,T8,T9,T10,T11 – ash – Lift crowns by 4 metres,
T6 – sycamore – Reduce crown by 1.5-2 metres. Lift crown by 1.5-2 metres , T22 – mixed hedge – Reduce by 0.5 metres
At Meadow Cottage, 36 Church Walk For Mrs Susan Harland
Planning officer Assistant Planner Date 7 November 2019
No objection
3.
19/02797/FUL Erection of a tennis court and subsequent change of use of land from paddock to domestic garden
At Fammington Court, Loxley Lane For Mrs J Daniells
Planning officer Louise Casey Date 7 November 2019
No objection
4.
19/02858/COUQ Change of use of agricultural building to residential dwelling
At Walton Wood Farm, Walton For Executor Of The Late Christopher Murphy
Planning officer Paul Thompson Date 14 November 2019
No objection
5
19/02898/VARY Variation of Condition No.4 of Planning Permission 19/00603/FUL dated 01/05/2019, to extend the opening hours to 07:30 to 23:00 inside the café/shop and also an extension of hours for all the external areas from 07:30 to 22:00 hours, every day.
Original description of development: Change of use of the ground floor of the property from retail use (class A1) to a mixed use as retail and cafe (classes A1 and A3), along with the construction of a single storey rear extension, a garden room and a covered cycle and buggy store.
At 2 Newbold Road For Ms Helen Pires Hi6 Enterprises Ltd
Planning officer Joe Brooke Date 18 November 2019
No objection
10.3 Definition of planning term approvals – Cllr DK had raised the query with the planning team and awaited a response
10.4 Planning Committee B meeting feedback – Cllr AP said that the Neighbourhood Plan does not prevent developers from squashing more properties into a development site when pushing plots closer to leave space for further building to enable them to comply with their percentage of affordable homes. Parish Councils need to review Reserved Matters closely with original planning applications and ensure prevention of this practice is covered in their Neighbourhood Plan.
Action: Contact WALC to request they share this information with other Parish Councils By: Cllr AP
10.5 Airfield Correspondence – WWPC and SDC response – Cllrs noted the response from SDC to the concerns raised by WWPC to the Airfield degradation permitted by the MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) contract entered into by SDC and the Airfield owners. It was noted that no planning application had come forward for future proposed development of the site.
10.6 Feedback from the Questions to the Leader meeting at SDC – Cllr AP had attended the meeting on behalf of the Council raising concerns about the MoU and degradation of the airfield by potential shortening of one runway, closure of another and the possible plans for residential development on part of the site. The Leader said that the MoU would enable SDC to secure the flying function of the airfield whilst the owner considered possible development of the site and plans would come forward as part of this process.
10.7 Feedback from the Aviators public meeting – The meeting had been attended by over 200 concerned residents and aviators. The meeting was dominated by the Deputy Leader of the Council who gave politically correct responses with no real feedback on discussion. There was strong feeling in the room from the aviators, some from the existing businesses on the site, others independent aviators but all giving well-reasoned argument about their concerns for the loss of the valuable amenity.
10.8 Date of next Area Planning Meetings: 13/11/2019, 27/11/2019

11. Finance Committee – Cllr AS
11.1 Responsible Finance Officer – Resignation and advertising arrangements for replacement – The vacancy had been advertised and some responses had been received.
11.2 Chairman’s report – 13 grants for 2020 had been received, with 4 new organisations applying.
11.3 The committee had carried out a comprehensive review of the updated Financial Regulations.
Recommendation to approve the updated Financial Regulations
Action: Updated version without tracking to be sent to the Clerk Prop Cllr AS, 2nd AB carried
By: Cllr AS
11.4 WSCC insurance update – Cllr AP said a quote had been requested from the WSCC insurers which would be given to the Clerk to carry out a price comparison against the Council insurance with any additions or errors in the policies highlighted.

Page 57

Cllr Mrs Prior left the meeting
11.5
Approval of monthly accounts as per attached cheque list Prop Cllr AS, 2nd Cllr SJ carried
Cllr Mrs Prior returned to the meeting

11.6
Approval of staff salaries Prop Cllr DK, Cllr AS carried
It was noted that due to public pressure Barclays Bank had not withdrawn the paying in facility at the village Post Office.
11.7 Monthly management accounts – noted
11.8 Community Loans Fund – The Parish Council considered setting up of a Community Loan Fund to cover the set up cost of
community events to be repaid from the proceeds within a specified period subject to confirmation from WALC/NALC that PC’s
have the powers to set up such funds.
Recommendation to set aside £1000 for the Council budget pending confirmation from WALC/NALC of PC’s powers to set up such funds Prop Cllr AS, 2nd Cllr OC carried
By: Clerk
11.9 Date of next meeting 12th November 2019

12. Highways, Environment and Emergency Committee – Cllr SJ
12.1 Chairman’s update – Cllr SJ said the HEE committee would be looking at the 20’s Plenty Campaign and agreed that Ettington Park and The Grange would be suitable for such speed restriction and he would bring the details of the scheme to the committee for consideration at a future meeting. It was noted that the non-enforceable one way sign at the school on Mountford Close would benefit from being larger and the wording “all traffic”. The Emergency Plan abridged version would be discussed as an agenda item at the next meeting. It was noted that WCC did not intend further budget for the Lengthsman scheme but all members had expressed an interest in budgeting via the precept to continue the scheme and WCC were in agreement to this if the WWPC Clerk continued to administrate the scheme on behalf of the members to which she had agreed. Some concern had been raised by Cllr RB that the agreement for footpath clearance had been revoked by WCC other than for emergency clearances; the Clerk had asked WCC for a definitive response to this matter.
12.2 School Transport correspondence – Cllr AP said the response from the officer regarding the concerns raised about school transport costs for 6th form students who had to stay in education by law until the age of 18 was inappropriate, blunt and did not address the concerns raised. Cllrs agreed that a formal complaint should be raised about the response to Head of the Council.
Action: Write complaint in respect of the content and inappropriate tone of the response By: Cllr AP
12.3 Date of next meeting 10th December 2019

13. Community Facilities Committee – Cllr AP
13.1 Chairman’s update – meeting set up with modular building company to give a quote for a replacement building on the site of the old youth hut.
13.2 Newbold Road planning application update – The car park planning application had been submitted to SDC
13.3 Village Hall update – moved to confidential
13.4 Dog Close update – Cllr AP was corresponding on behalf of the Council with Walton Estate on how to progress to a
position where the land would be restored and the lease could be signed
13.5 Correspondence from WSA – A letter from the resigning Chairman of WSA Mr Podbury had been received requesting the
Council to consider a quote for extending the fences by WSCC to prevent cricket balls entering the MUGA – this was deferred to
the Community Facilities meeting agenda.
13.6
Recommendation to approve the spending on hedging and tree maintenance work by Thomas Fox Landscaping and Maintenance
Action: Notify Council grounds maintenance contractor of contract approval Prop Cllr AP, 2nd Cllr DK carried
By: Office
13.7 Date of next meeting – 19th November 2019

14. Contracts
14.1 Responses from preferred contractors update – Both contractors had accepted. Grounds maintenance and bus shelter
cleaning would be undertaken by Tom Fox Landscapers and litterpicking would be undertaken by AMW.
14.2 Responses to Lengthsman & Handyman contracts update Clerk – Several responses had been received and interviews
would commence next week.

15. Office & Staffing
15.1 Staff liaison meeting 30th October update – the meeting was postponed due to staff leave and RFO resignation.

16. Index of Shops and Amenities – Cllr RB
16.1 Three quotes were received and considered by the Index working party, with printing costs at £3000
Recommendation to accept the quote from the preferred printers Prop Cllr RB, 2nd Cllr AB carried
16.2
Recommendation to agree that costs for Index advertisers remains the same as last year Prop Cllr RB, 2nd Cllr AB carried

17. Speakers for the Annual Parish Meeting – suggestion – Speed Aware Team. Previous successful grant applicants to provide displays at the meeting.

Page 58

18. Wellesbourne and Walton News – Cllr AP
18.1 Proposed contents: Chairman’s report
Airfield Christmas light switch on & street fayre
Reminder of dog byelaws at Mountford playing field Volunteers to deliver Annual Report

19. Cllr and Clerk Exchange of Information
Cllr AP reminded everyone that the Christmas light switch on would be at 6.30pm on 30th November with the street fayre stalls
opening at 5.00pm and said the WSCC was still looking for a replacement Trustee.
Cllr Kendall reminded everyone the Remembrance Service was starting at 9.45am.
Cllr Parry gave apologies for non attendance at the Wellesbourne service as she would be attending at Moreton Morrell.

20. Items/reports for the next meeting by 21st November 2019

Table of monthly meeting dates

Full Council 3rd December 2019
Highways/Environment/Emergency committee 10th December 2019
Community Facilities committee 19th November 2019
Finance 12th November 2019

Under section 100A of the Local Government Act 1972, in view of the confidential nature of the business about to be transacted, it is advisable in the public interest, as if members of the public were present during the consideration of such business, there would be disclosure to them of exempt information under paras 1 and 11 and Part 1 Schedule 12A of the said Act, that the public will be excluded
CONFIDENTIAL

13.3 Village Hall Management Committee correspondence
Cllrs considered the response from VHMC and agreed to them deferring signing of the lease whilst an application was prepared by the Committee to seek charitable status providing evidence was presented to the Council that the application to the Charity Commission had been submitted by 12th December 2019 and to signing the lease no later than 28th February.
Action: Explain that the 5 yearly electricity safety certificate would have to be produced annually as evidence it was still held rather than an annual certificate having to be purchased. BY: Office

There being no further business to discuss the meeting closed at 9.40pm

Chairman Cllr Mrs Prior

Signed A Prior

Date 3/12/19

Page 59