Full Council meeting, 03/09/2019 – minutes

The minutes for the Meeting of the Council on Tuesday 3rd September 2019 at 7.30 pm at the Methodist Hall in Bridge Street Wellesbourne

Present: Chairman: Cllr Mrs Prior Councillors: Mrs Bolton, Mrs Burnard, Cannon, Harte, Jackson, Kendall, Mrs Paige-Stimson
Clerk: Mrs Scriven Members of public: 7 District/County Councillors: 2

1. Welcome and announcements

2. Apologies for Absence – Cllrs Dipple, Mann, Shepherd

3. Declarations of Interest
Cllr Mrs Prior declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to WSCC as a Trustee
Cllr Kendall declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to WSCC as a Trustee
Cllr Jackson declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to WSCC as a Trustee and item 10.4.1 as related to applicant
Cllr Mrs Bolton declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to the Village Hall as the Council representative and item
10.4.2 as a friend of the applicant
Cllr Mrs Burnard declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to item 10.4.5 as a friend of the applicant

4. Confirmation of the order of the agenda – add 7.4 Allotment event – agreed

5. Identification of any items that might be resolved for confidential session – Item 13 and its subsections as legal and
contractual matters – agreed

6. Confirmation of the minutes of the Council Meetings 20th August 2019 – agreed

7. Matters arising (not included in the agenda)
7.1 Spoil heaps at the Grange: Cllr DK – SDC Planning Enforcement had reviewed the planning conditions and confirmed no conditions applied to the spoil but it was to be used for landscaping on the site and any excess would be removed.
Action: Report findings to Mr Wright to raised concern about the spoil By: Cllr Kendall
7.2 Village gateway meeting update: Cllr Parry, Cllr RM and Cllr JH met with WCC Officer and agreed the position of the new village gateway at Charlecote Road roundabout and to cut back overhanging vegetation to increase the vision splay when entering the village at this point. The Officer and Cllrs also looked at the problems of inadequate or obscured signage and problems caused to pedestrians by speeding traffic and lack of safe crossing places on Ettington and Loxley Roads. The Officer agreed to consider a scheme, but it was acknowledged that this would not progress until the new financial year in April due to budget limitations.
7.3 Approval of minutes query correspondence – WALC advice sought on publication of minutes was to publish as soon as the minutes were written, watermarked with DRAFT and a note specifying “subject to possible change”
Recommendation to issue minutes as soon as they are ready marked “draft – subject to possible change” Prop Cllr AP, 2nd Cllr YPS
Recommendation to include for a 6 month trial period, “matters arising” on any agenda where draft minutes are discussed Prop Cllr AP 2nd Cllr SJ
7.4 Allotment event – Cllrs AP and AB unveiled a plaque celebrating the opening of a dementia friendly allotment plot. The
event had been well attended and was a most successful day appearing as a feature on BBC’s Countryfile in the evening.

8. Open Session for members of the public to raise any matters of relevance to the Parish
Mrs Dane, Newbold Road asked what the difference between Decisions with Conditions and Approvals were on the agenda.
Cllr Kendal said he would check but believed the Approvals were Reserved Matters.

9. District & County Council matters
Cllr Kendall – said resident, Mr Davis had queried why £77,000 from the Unilateral Agreement money had been transferred into
Sec 106 money by SDC. Mr Weeks, Head of planning at SDC had confirmed this had been done as the intended use complied
with CILs (Community Infrastructure Levy) and moving it to SEC106 gave the money more security as SDC had no authority
over Unilateral Agreement funds. Mr Weeks had confirmed that all monies had been paid over to WWPC and that the £77K
including indexation had formed part of the £83,436.36 payment made in 2018 and the matter was now closed.
Action: Write to Mr Davis, Oxford Way to explain how the money had been paid to WWPC By: Cllr Kendall
Cllr Kendall confirmed that there are no rules applying to Parish Councils/Meetings notifying neighbouring properties of planning applications in their parish when they are close to neighbouring parishes, this is at the discretion of the planning officer or head of planning. Notifications would only be given where large planning applications were made or where it is perceived the application would have an impact on neighbouring parishes.
Cllr Mrs Parry – said the Site Allocations consultation responses were due by 20th September, and urged the PC to make comment
SDC Climate and Emergency Committee had set up a Task and Finish Group to look at the issues of global warming.
SDC remained in consultation with the Littler Family on matters concerning the compulsory purchase of the Airfield.
The Crime Commissioner was once again promoting Speed Watch Campaigns – liaise with local SNT
Concern had been raised about site vehicles at the Willett Gardens site, obscuring footways and blocking road access for residents.

Page 38

10. Planning
10.1 Decisions with conditions
1. Noted
19/01438/FUL Insert 2 No dormer windows onto North East (front) elevation
At The Oaks, Walton Road For Mr John Kendrick Barleycrest properties Ltd
2. Noted
19/01400/FUL Proposed rear conservatory
At 8 Wellington Close For Mr Wainwright
3. Noted
19/01867/TREE T1 – Norway spruce – crown lift to 2.3m above ground level
At Wellesbourne Methodist Church, Wellesbourne For Roger Wright
4. Noted
19/01629/FUL Extension and alterations
At 30 Kineton Road, Wellesbourne For Mr & Mrs Garcea
5. Noted
19/01822/FUL Proposed first floor side extension and single storey rear extension
At 4 Hopkins Way, Wellesbourne For Mr & Mrs Butler
10.2 Amendments
19/01719/FUL Erection of two-bedroom bungalow, access and parking
At Land adjacent to 88 Mountford Close For Mr J Kendrick
Planning officer Date
Objection on the grounds this would be overdevelopment of the site and overbearing of the neighbouring property. The bungalow
would be portrait rather than landscape in layout to the road and therefore would be out of keeping with the existing street scene
where all bungalows are landscape layout to the highway. The drive would be unsuitable as the vision splay would be onto a blind
bend and there is insufficient land space for an adequate turning area which would mean reversing onto the highway at a blind
bend in an area already plagued by congestion. The amended plans whilst moving the bungalow back on the plot only serves to
further reduce the limited amenity space of the property.
19/01961/FUL Single storey side extension and erection of boundary wall
At 15 Lysander Close, Wellesbourne For Mr Howard Smith
Planning officer Ryan OKeeffe Date Information only
10.3 Approvals
1 Noted.
18/02320/REM Reserved matters application for the erection of up to 127 dwellings with associated infrastructure pursuant to condition 1 of 15/00596/OUT (outline application for the erection of up to 350 dwellings with associated open space, landscaping, attenuation areas, with all matters, except access reserved)
At Land East and West of Ettington Road, Wellesbourne For Miss Elizabeth Woods Persimmon Homes
Planning officer Louise Koelman Date 27th August 2019
2. Noted
19/01619/REM Application for the approval of reserved matters relating to the appearance, landscaping, layout and scale of outline planning permission 17/02887/OUT for the erection of 1 no dwelling
At Friz Hill, Walton For Mr & Mrs Redfern
Planning officer Joe Brooke Date 27th August 2019
10.4 Applications
19/02287/TREE T1 – conifer – Fell
At The Stags Head, 1 Chestnut Square, Wellesbourne For Mr Antony Bell-Thorn
Planning officer Assistant Planner Date 9th September 2019
Support as necessary removal works
19/02078/TREE T1 – Cherry – Reduce height by approx. 2 metres to 2 metres and spread by 1 metre to 1.5 metres
At 3 Chestnut Square, Wellesbourne For Miss E Hunter
Planning officer Assistant Planner Date 11th September 2019
No objection
19/02087/FUL Construction of new house with access and parking (revision of approved scheme 19/00049/FUL to provide
a garage with a new flat roofed rear section
At The Nurseries, Lowes Lane, Wellesbourne For Mr P Coton, Coton Builders
Planning officer Erin Wetherstone Date 12th September 2019
No objection

Page 39

19/02350/FUL Erection of single storey rear extension
At 8 Hammond Green For Mr Steve Kapoor
Planning officer Sarah Chadwick Date 13th September 2019
Objection as the roof terrace impinges on the privacy of all neighbouring properties
19/02104/FUL Proposed single storey rear extension
At 4 Rose Lane, Wellesbourne For Mr Jon Ryan Gill
Planning officer Victoria Kempton Date 17th September 2019
No objection
10.5 Site Allocations Plan for Stratford upon Avon District July 2019 (supplement to the Core Strategy 2011 – 2031) Cllrs noted there were no reserved housing sites for Wellesbourne or Walton. The allocations for the Warwick University Site off the A429 could have a potential impact on Wellesbourne. In the past, a meeting with WWPC Chairman and a Professor representing the University said there would be no graduate/post graduate accommodation on site and that any changes would remain within the current footprint. The professor went on to say that the history of the planting on the soil at the site (when HRI) was held going back for 200 years along with a seed bank. The sports fields were also something the University were keen to preserve.
Action: Compile a response to the SAP confirming WWPC were pleased to see no reserved housing sites for Wellesbourne & Walton but less pleased for the plans outlined for the University site raising concern of the lack of infrastructure for graduates/post graduates, no public transport to the site, impact on local traffic on the busy A429, possible loss of sports fields/open green space for the local community – to be circulated for approval of Cllrs prior to submission By: Cllr AP
10.6 Date of next Area Planning Meetings: 4th September 2019 – cancelled – 18th September 2019 to be confirmed

11. Finance Committee – Cllr AS
11.1 Chairman’s report – noted
11.2 Correspondence re WSCC insurance update – information had been sent to the Council’s insurance and a response awaited
Approval of monthly accounts as per attached cheque list Prop Cllr SJ, 2nd Cllr RB carried
Approval of staff salaries Prop Cllr RB, 2nd Cllr Dk carried
11.5 Monthly management accounts – to follow
11.6 External Audit update Clerk – Further queries had been raised by the RFO with the Auditor as the assertions requiring moving certain funding did not accord with last year’s audited accounts. An agreement had been reached and a new revised reconciliation had been submitted to permit the Auditor to complete the year end accounting.
11.7 Date of next meeting 24th September 2019

12. Highways, Environment and Emergency Committee – Cllr RM
12.1 Chairman’s update – no update available as Chairman not present.
12.2 Correspondence SDC – Town & Parish Council support for UBUS Community Transport Service – The report outlined Wellesbourne Parish as the fourth highest user of the service, and it was agreed to be a valuable service to the community. It was agreed that a contribution in the region of £1,000 – £2000 be considered.
Recommendation that the Council includes in the precept a sum of money, amount to be decided for support of the UBUS service Prop Cllr AP, 2nd Cllr JH
12.3 Repeater signs Loxley Road – the first of the signs had been installed, new fastening clips were awaited from the supplier
12.4 Correspondence – WCC implementation of 50mph limit along A429 Barford Bypass – following discussion, Cllrs agreed
the 50mph should be implemented although it was acknowledged the letter and maps did not accord. The Council also felt the
50mph limit should be extended from the fifth roundabout on the A429 to the top of the hill known as Redhill on the way to
Ettington. It was agreed this suggestion should be made in a separate letter.
Action: Write to WCC in response to the 50mph limit on A429 and raising concerns about the speed limits as the route continues By: Cllr AP
12.5 Date of next meeting 10th September 2019

13. Community Facilities Committee – Cllr AP
13.1 Chairman’s report – noted. The architect had amended the parking layout for the Newbold Road land as requested by the Council and would now proceed to submit to SDC seeking planning permission.
13.2 – 13.3.3 – moved to confidential session
13.4 Date of next meeting – 8th October 2019

14. Contracts
Recommendation to agree the Tendering process and advertising of the Grounds maintenance contract, Bus shelter cleaning contract and Litter collection contracts.
Prop Cllr AP, 2nd Cllr AB

Page 40

Recommendation to accept quotes to advertise tendering for the contracts from the Herald/Midweek £382.32(vat inc) and to accept a quote no more than £400 (vat inc) from the Leamington Courier as this had not been received in time for the meeting. Prop Cllr AP, 2nd Cllr AB carried
Prop Cllr AP, 2nd Cllr AB

15. Office & Staffing
15.1 Office clearing update – the office and basement had been cleared of all unnecessary items and there was now a usable
filing space for the archive documents of the Council. Cllrs thanked the Clerk and Admin Assistant for their hard work.
15.2 Staff liaison meetings – to be arranged as required

16. Index of Shops and Amenities – Cllrs Mrs Bolton, Mrs Burnard, Mann and Harte had agreed to be on the working party

17. Wellesbourne & Walton Parish Council – as a Market Authority – update Cllr AP
Recommendation that Wellesbourne & Walton Parish Council becomes a Market Authority
Action: Write to SDC informing them WWPC want to become a Market Authority Prop Cllr AP, 2nd Cllr DK carried
By: Clerk

18. Code of Conduct video – date to be arranged for Cllrs who were unable to attend the last training session

19. Wellesbourne and Walton News – Cllr AP
19.1 Proposed contents: Chairman’s report
New Councillor bio’s Community involvement Speed Watch Campaign – volunteers wanted

20. Cllr and Clerk Exchange of Information
Cllr Mrs Bolton asked if the unused damaged bus stop without a sign could be removed from Kineton Road
Cllr Mrs Paige-Stimson reported problems with a delay in issuing the school bus passes due to a last minute change of provider.
Parents were advised that children qualifying for a bus pass would be permitted onto the bus if carrying a copy of their letter of
Cllr Mrs Prior raised concern about the cost of a bus pass for 6th form students travelling to Kineton which could only be used
Mon-Fri during term time whilst students could travel to Warwickshire College for much less using their passes 7 days a week
And during half term holidays. There is no subsidised transport for over 16’s and for Kineton students only Warwickshire school
bus service could be used.
Cllr Mrs Burnard said the change in admissions policy for schools did not align with the transport policy as Google Map driving
distances were used to judge qualification for school transport and this would have implications in the future for residents living
on the far side of the Dovehouse estate and Loxley Road.
Action: Write to WCC school transport services raising concerns about the costs, conditions of use for passes and why the travel plan does not accord with the admissions policies. By: Cllr AP

21. Items/reports for the next meeting by 19th September 2019

Under section 100A of the Local Government Act 1972, in view of the confidential nature of the business about to be transacted, it is advisable in the public interest, as if members of the public were present during the consideration of such business, there would be disclosure to them of exempt information under paras 1 and 11 and Part 1 Schedule 12A of the said Act, that the public will be excluded
13.2 Correspondence Wellesbourne Sports Association legal costs – after consideration, Cllrs agreed as a gesture of goodwill,
that legal fees incurred in respect of the WSA Assignment of Lease and Licence for Alterations would be split 50/50. Prop Cllr SJ
2nd Cllr DK, carried
Action: Write to WSA to advice the agreement to split the invoice By: Office

13.3.1 Management Committee sublease – this had not been signed as awaited response to the VHMC correspondence (13.3.2)
13.3.2 Correspondence – Village Hall Management Committee – The VHMC had requested that two clauses be added to the lease
relating to the Trustee’s liability and VHMC as a charity. The Council solicitor had agreed the clauses could be added to the lease.
Cllrs considered an expectations list to be appended or added to the lease relating to landlord requirements for the tenant such
as a fire safety certificate, utility services safety certificates, boiler service/maintenance and landlords’ certificates etc. and agreed
its content. Prop Cllr AP, 2nd Cllr DK carried.
Action: Request Council solicitor revise the lease as agreed By: Office

13.3.3 Contingency for future management of the Village Hall – The Clerk reminded Cllrs that under the LGA 1972, the Council
could hold a “Sinking Fund” for maintenance of the building under the full repairing lease. It was noted it the VHMC did not sign
the lease, WWPC would have no option but to take over the short term management of the hall until another committee could be

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting closed at 10.05pm

Chairman Cllr Mrs Prior
Signed A Prior
Date 1/6/2019 11.9.19

Page 41