Highways, Environment & Emergency Committee meeting, 26/02/2019 – minutes

WELLESBOURNE and WALTON PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes for a meeting of the Highways/Environment/Emergency Committee of the Council on Tuesday 26th February 2019 at 7.30pm at the Parish Council Office at 2 School Road, Wellesbourne

Present Chairman: Cllr Barritt Councillors: Mrs Bolton, Mrs Paige-Stimson, Storey Clerk: Mrs Scriven
Members of public: 3 Non Council committee members: 0

1. Welcome

2. Apologies for Absence – Cllrs Jackson, Mann, Mrs Prior & Mr Lawley

3. Confirmation of the order of the Agenda – addition of two items of late correspondence:
Lorry drivers/WDP40 – Mrs Folkes & Bridge at Weir – Mr England – agreed

4. Identification of any items that might be resolved for confidential session – none

5. Declarations of Interest – none

6. Confirmation of the Minutes of the Highways, Environment and Emergency Committee meeting
29th January 2019 – agreed

7. Matters arising (not included in the agenda)
7.1 HGV/PSVs and cars overnight parking in Loxley Road layby update – this had been reported to the local police
7.2 Graffiti update – Clerk & Cllr Barritt to put together a list of possible ways to approach this matter to be brought to next meeting
7.3 Broken wall at White Bridge update – the Clerk had written to the new owners of the Old Vicarage.
Mrs Olafson owner of the Old Vicarage attended the meeting, addressed the Councillors stating the wall is shown clearly on the house deeds as not part of their property and that they had been given correspondence from the previous owner to say the area was purchased during the war from the Church by the District Council.

8. Open Session for members of the public to raise any matters of relevance to the Parish
Miss McDonaugh, Mountford Close, ref item 9 she asked if the bus would travel both ways and who would pay for this service.

9. Resident suggestion of school bus service from Sainsbury’s to Wellesbourne C of E school – Cllr RB said this was simply an idea mooted by another resident and there had been no discussions yet. Efforts would be made to seek information including costings and viability from Sainsbury’s and the school.

10. Highways issues
10.1 Contact with Distribution Park Manager update – The Clerk had contacted HQ and requested a meeting with the site manager. An email was sent by HQ asking him to contact the Council, it was noted he was currently on leave and a response would be made upon his return.
10.2 Consideration of revision of list of new road names – Cllr RB said the list required updating as there were some outdated suggestions and some new additions to be made.
Name list to be prepared for consideration next meeting By Office
10.3 Consideration of left only egress from the new Medical Centre update Clerk – This had been passed to County Council Road Safety Team (RST) who would carry out a site visit during school rush hours to gather evidence. The RST confirmed they would only pursue this matter if the police agreed.
10.4 Matters for Warwickshire County Council raised by residents
10.4.1 Footway/path along the river from Church Walk – reported to WCC (Richard Barnard – County footpaths)
10.4.2 High kerb on Bridge Street pedestrian crossing – reported to WCC highways depot
10.4.3 Repair of roads (potholes/white road markings) – reported to WCC highways depot
10.4.4 Request to WCC for a new pedestrian crossing – request logged on the WCC new crossing required list
10.4.5 Footway clearance (Bridge Street/Ettington Road) – reported to WCC highways depot
10.4.6 Speeding on village roads – The Clerk had contacted WCC’s Traffic & Safety dept. requesting repeater signs. It was established that whilst WCC had no budget for repeater signs they would permit the PC to purchase them. The Clerk has requested permission for the Lengthsman to fit them should the PC wish to go ahead, response is awaited. Cllrs acknowledged the email from Mr Murphy regarding equipment for evidence gathering in speed prone areas.
10.4.7 Parking on Warwick Road – parking had become a problem due to vehicles parking carelessly adjacent to each other preventing access for emergency vehicles.
Complaint from some of the business premises on Warwick Road about misuse of the layby for all day parking was raised, it was noted that not all businesses and residents wanted restricted parking enforced on the layby.

11. Environment issues
11.1 Public rights of way – no update

Page 100

11.2 Lengthsman Scheme update Clerk – The Lengthsman had not been working due to an injury but was now back fully fit. There had been complements received from several members of public regarding the clearance of the coppice adjacent to the Mountford sports field, Cllrs agreed it was a vast improvement of the area.

12. Emergency issues
12.1 Emergency plan – GDPR progress update Clerk – Data Protection Office approached for a template letter ref GDPR permissions to hold private information. Letters would be sent to all named persons in the Emergency Plan once received

13. Conservation Working Party – Mr Hargis
13.1 Conservation Area – working party status report – 11th February 2019 – noted
13.2 Revised Conservation leaflet for approval – Cllrs viewed the amended leaflet and agreed to its publication. Prop Cllr Mrs RB, 2nd Cllr Mrs P-S – agreed
Action: amended leaflet to be sent to the Clerk electronically for its printing Document from: Mr Hargis Printing: Office
13.3 Draft Terms of Reference (TORs) for Working Party – The TORs were to be revised to include Parish Council format by Cllrs Barritt, Mrs Bolton, Mrs Paige-Stimson for the Clerk to amend for forwarding to the Conservation working party.
13.4 Conservation working party letters for consideration for approval to send – the Clerk suggested that all lighting columns of historical importance should be afforded protection not just the one highlighted in the letter. The Clerk raised concern about sending out letters to tree surgeons as this could be seen as endorsement of those selected and those not contacted may feel omitted unfairly. It was suggested instead that the conservation leaflet be sent to tree surgeons in the area.
Action: Seek locations of other lighting columns of historical interest in the parish
Action: Prepare a list of tree surgeons who would be sent the conservation leaflet for information By: Mr Hargis
13.4.1
Recommendation to delegate to Clerk overseen by the Committee Chairman to send letters on behalf of the Conservation Working Party when no scheduled meeting available Prop Cllr RB
2nd Cllr PS carried
13.5
Recommendation to approve recruitment advert in W&W News for Conservation Working Party Prop Cllr RB, 2nd Cllr Mrs YPS carried

Website – Mr Hargis requested permission to upgrade the conservation page on the Council website working alongside Mr Saunders who administrates the site. Cllrs agreed this would be acceptable.

Mr Hargis raised his disquiet at the change of decision by WWPC on the Kings Head planning application. The Clerk explained that the information provided by the Tree Forestry Officer was undisputable and therefore WWPC had no option but to withdraw their objection. The Clerk also confirmed that the detail was available publicly on the SDC planning portal under consultation documents.

Mr Hargis said the Conservation working party had been dismayed by the low kick fence outside the medical centre as it did not accord with the existing street scene. The Clerk confirmed WWPC had enquired about the fence at planning application stage but were unable to change this.
13.6 Date of next Conservation Working Party meeting – 17th April 2019

Additional items of late correspondence:
Lorry drivers and WDP40 – Mrs Folkes had written in defence of drivers missing the WDP40 entrance. Cllr Barritt to reply
Persimmon drain – Mr Hope had brought to the attention of the Council a sewage drain from the Persimmon development which had bolts missing and easily opened vent doors into the sewage channel. This information had been sent to the Planning Enforcement Team by the Clerk, they had confirmed they instructed Mr Hope to bring it to the attention of the HSE (Health & Safety Executive).

14. Councillor, Clerk and non Council members of Committee exchange of information
Clerk – there had been a request for a dropped kerb at Whitworth Close and asked if any further missing dropped kerbs had been noted.

15. Date of next meeting – 14th May 2019

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting closed at 9.25pm

Chairman Cllr Mann

Signed R W Mann

Date 25/June/2019
(completed 28th February 2019)

Page 101