WELLESBOURNE and WALTON PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes for a meeting of the Office & Staffing Committee of the Council on Monday 26th November 2018 at 10.00am at the Parish Council Office at 2 School Road, Wellesbourne
Present: Chairman: Cllr Mrs Bolton Councillors: Barritt, Mrs Prior Clerk: Mrs Scriven Members of public: 0
2. Apologies for Absence – Cllr Shepherd
3. Declarations of Interest – none
4. Confirmation of the order of the Agenda – Renumber from item 8 onward, add new item 12.1 Cllr shared drive, move
item 9 to follow 13.2 – agreed
5. Identification of any items that might be resolved for confidential session – none
6. Confirmation of the minutes 17th September 2018 – agreed
7. Matters arising (not included in the agenda) – none
8. Open Session for members of the public to raise any matters of relevance to the Parish – none
9. Review of standing orders – Cllr Mrs RB – moved to later in the agenda
10. Recommendation to adopt a GDPR Officer – This matter remained uncertain as no agreement at Government level had been reached as to whether Clerks could continue as the GDPR for their employer. The Clerk had suggested to the Local branch of SLCC (Society of Local Council Clerks) that in order to comply with the Transparency legislation it might be possible for Clerks to act as GDPR Officer for each other’s Council of a similar size, this was being investigated by SLCC and would be an agenda item at the next quarterly meeting in March. It was agreed the Clerk remain the Data Protection Officer until agreement was reached or legislation changed.
11. Review of Policies
11.1 Appraisal Scheme policy – Cllr AP had added a worksheet for the half yearly reviews that would detail the staff member’s targets with a response box for the employee to evidence actions taken and how and if targets had been met.
Action: Cross match against the original appraisal document to see if any amendment was required. By: Cllr AP
Recommendation to adopt the new format forms for staff half yearly review to full council Prop Cllr AP,2nd Cllr Mrs RB carried
11.2 Lone worker policy review – Cllrs considered the policy and accepted that some responsibility would fall on the judgement of staff directly, especially when dealing with members of public. It was agreed that training for dealing with members of public should be sourced and offered to the staff and that a mobile phone be provided for staff to be carried upon their person when working alone in the office.
Action: Check availability of Pay As You Go/contract mobile for use in the office by staff BY: Cllr AP
Recommendation to adopt the Lone worker policy to full council Prop Cllr AP,2nd Cllr Mrs RB carried
11.3 Data Protection policy – to be retained unchanged. Recommendation to adopt the Data Protection policy to full council Prop Cllr AP,2nd Cllr Mrs RB carried
12. Office matters
12.1 Councillor shared drive – A folder for Councillors had been set up by the Clerk on Cloud, accessible by Cllr email and a hyperlink. Councillors were asked to consider what documents they wished to have uploaded.
It was agreed to upload the following: Agendas & Minutes, Associated reports where possible/available, Management reports,
Budget document – once finalised
Further consideration was to be given to other organisation’s documents such as: NPPF – National Planning Policy Framework
Neighbourhood Plan, Core Strategy, Minerals Consultation, Education Consultations.
It was agreed that further information would be sought by Cllr AP/Clerk as to how the documents were best imported onto the system.
12.2 CLOUD/Email (Edge IT Systems) update Clerk – the system was now working well, some minor time delays with uploads remained but it was noted that this was due to broadband demand not the system. Some finance shared folders were still not working properly and the RFO was dealing directly with Edge IT to resolve these issues.
12.3 GDPR – Data Protection Registration – the Council registration had been completed.
12.4 Reorganisation of the office – Clerk- the office furniture and layout had been reorganised with the exception of the Clerk’s desk due to space restriction. Consideration would be given as to how to overcome this matter. The basement clearance was still outstanding and would take place in the new year.
13. Staffing matters
13.1 Staff leave & overtime report – noted
13.2 Reviews & Appraisals – The RFO and Admin. Assistant appraisals had been completed, the Clerks half year appraisal was to be arranged.
9. Review of standing orders – Cllr Mrs RB
Councillors compared the new Model Standing Orders with the currently adopted orders of the Council and made amendment where necessary.
Recommendation to full Council to adopt the new revised Standing Orders – Prop Cllr Mrs RB, 2nd Cllr AP
14. Cllr and Clerk exchange of information – none
15. Date of next meeting – 7th January 2018
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting closed at 12.10pm
Chairman Cllr Mrs Bolton
Signed EMR Bolton
(completed 28th November)