Skip to content

Full Council meeting, 02/10/2018 – minutes

WELLESBOURNE and WALTON PARISH COUNCIL
The minutes for the Meeting of the Council on Tuesday 2nd October 2018 at 7.30 pm at the Methodist Hall in Bridge Street Wellesbourne

Present: Chairman: Cllr Mrs Prior Councillors: Mrs Bolton, Jackson, Mann, Mrs Michael, Shepherd Clerk: Mrs Scriven
District/County Cllrs:1 Members of public: 14

1. Welcome and announcements – Two candidates had applied for co-option to the Council as there had been no call for election for the two vacancies. Interviews would be taking place shortly.

2. Apologies for Absence – Cllr Mrs Bartlett, Barritt, Kendall

3. Declarations of Interest – none

4. Confirmation of the order of the agenda – additional items for the agenda, item 11.7 Finance: Recommendation that the RFO hours be increased to one day per week with immediate effect Prop: Cllr AP, item 13.5 Planters in the precinct, item 14.3 late correspondence request from Parenting Project for use of a room for Counselling, item 14.4 Communication with Royal Mail – agreed with additions

5. Identification of any items that might be resolved for confidential session
Item11.7 Finance recommendation as staffing matter, 12.2 Emergency Plan in accord with GDPR (Data Protection), item 13.4 Village Hall Management Committee draft lease as a legal matter, item15 Non-Council members of committees as procedural matter. Prop Cllr Mrs RB, 2nd Cllr RM carried.

6. Confirmation of the minutes of the Council Meetings
4th September 2018 – Item 11.4 insert WSCC before is an excellent facility for clarity. 11.4 AGAR – give full title of Annual Governance & Accountability Return. Item 15 Index replace the meeting purpose with “for feedback on aspects of the production of the Index. Item 18 Tea & Teach sessions were awaited. Prop Cllr RM, 2nd Cllr SJ, carried.
25th September 2018 – Prop Cllr RB, 2nd Cllr SJ, carried.

7. Matters arising (not included in the agenda)
7.1 Request for support funding for Student participation in Peru Community Development activity.
Following contact with the school it was noted that two Wellesbourne students were taking part in the trip and due to time constraints it was agreed that any donation should be taken from the Grants budget. It was agreed that a donation of two hundred pound would be given to the school to split between the two students at whatever percentage the school deemed correct. As a condition of the grant, each student would be obliged to attend the Annual Parish Meeting to give a presentation on the trip.
Action: Make payment to Kineton School on behalf of the two Wellesbourne students toward the cost of their trip and notify the school in writing of the conditions attached to the grant. By: Office/Cllr AP
7.2 Ettington Lodge – Orbit Heart of England (OHE) – Concern was raised with OHE about the time it was taking to move residents into the new facility. OHE confirmed there had been some problems with the build finish and this meant they were not prepared to house residents until they had been resolved but confirmed they had written to potential residents regarding possible sign up dates recently. Cllr Jackson said he had been into the complex which now appeared fully fitted and ready for habitation.
7.3 Update on co-operation between councils – letters to Izzy Seccombe and Tony Jefferson
The leader of SDC Mr Jefferson was to speak with the Ward Members regarding this matter.
The response sent on behalf of WCC was not satisfactory. It was noted that WWPC wished to have a discussion with the Safer Routes to Schools Team to consider the changing situation in the village. The signage for the Distribution Park costings were refused on the grounds that WCC felt it was out of the financial means of the Council to purchase. Cllrs agreed it was not the place of WCC officers to decide what could be afforded but rather to give the information requested.
7.4 Response from Izzy Seccombe WCC – Cllr Parry apologised to the Council stating she had been put in the difficult position of being instructed to respond on behalf of Izzy Seccombe.

8. Open Session for members of the public to raise any matters of relevance to the Parish
Mr Robinson, Mountford Close raised concern about having to drive on the footway due to inconsiderate parking by parents attending the school.
Miss McDonaugh, Mountford Close raised concern about the chaotic traffic on Mountford Close and parking at the mouth of the junction of Newbold Road putting the crossing patrol in danger as it blocked the view of oncoming traffic.
Mrs Dane, Newbold Road, raised concern about vehicles parked on the whole of the footway whilst they go shopping all be it for a few minutes.
Mr Podbury, Kineton Road asked if the Council were intending to celebrate 12th February 2019 with an event to commemorate 100 years since Joseph Arch died.

9. District Council matters/County Council matters
Cllr Mrs Parry –report noted. Studley Medical centre – update next meeting
There had been £18,000 worth of applications made for the £6,000 grant funding available
Concern was expressed at the rise in criminal activity in the parish, especially violent crime and drug abuse. Residents had confided their lack of confidence in the police to protect anonymity and to attend to incidents in a timely manner.

Page 53

10. Planning
10.1 Applications
1.
18/02625/FUL Demolition of existing T hangar (retrospective) and proposed new hangar and Club house.
At Take Flight House, Loxley Lane, Wellesbourne For Mr Mike Roberts
Planning officer Joe Brooke Date 5th October 2018
No comment
2.
18/02109/FUL Retrospective consent for replacement of three windows to front elevation and installation of a short
external staircase to side elevation
At 10 Warwick Road, Wellesbourne CV35 9ND For Mr James Richardson M Webster Building Contractors Ltd
Planning officer Ann Scott Date 10th October 2018
Objected on the grounds that the original application stated no change would be made to the exterior to this building which is of historical importance and character. The windows of this building had multiple panes which have been replaced by a single pane which is unsympathetic to the character of the building.
3.
18/02450/LBC Works of repair and stabilisation to the blocked windows in the south gable of 19th
century wing of the house. Works will consist of – Raking out defective / loose
cementitious pointing around perimeter of the oak frames and repoint in lime
mortar. Careful removal of the brick infill panels and re-fixing, integrating Stainless
Steel frame cramps to secure the brickwork to the oak frame as appropriate.
Brickwork to be bedded and repointed in lime mortar to match the existing.
Replacement of decayed cill to window WF01 in oak. – Introduction of oak face
patches to cover exposed tenons to decayed corner joints to all 3 windows.
See drawing 883/07 for marked up photos of blocked windows
At The Little House, 17 Chestnut Square, Wellesbourne For Mr & Mrs Bottles
Planning officer Heather Kenny Date 16th October 2018
No objection
4.
18/02465/Ful Demolition of existing 2 metre high brick garden wall (marked A-B on site plan) and rebuilding 1
metre to the East (marked C-D-E on site plan) just short of ownership boundary/rear of highway
footpath forming part of Dovehouse Drive
At 1 Pembrook Gardens, Wellesbourne For Mr Endall
Planning officer Sarah Chadwick Date 15th October 2018
No objection
5.
18/02114/FUL Convert existing car port into enclosed garage with associated garage door
At 23 Wyvern Close, Wellesbourne For Mrs Carol Fletcher
Planning officer Ann Scott Date 15th October 2018
No objection
10.2 Neighbourhood Plan
10.2.1 Report John Hargis – noted. The drop-in sessions had been very successful with a high level of engagement, especially at Sainsbury’s. Last minute promotion would concentrate on Facebook and websites and residents were urged to look out for any negative campaigning. The Clerk reported a steady influx of residents coming to the office to view the NHD Plan.
10.3 Community Asset Status – Wellesbourne Allotments – no update available
10.4 Date of next Area Planning Meetings: 3rd & 24th October 2018

11. Finance Committee – Cllr AS
11.1 Chairman’s report – noted. Cllrs were appalled that there had been no responses from any of the local banks to the letter sent out requesting details of the service they could provide for Parish Councils.
11.2
Approval of monthly accounts as per attached cheque list Prop: Cllr Mrs RB 2nd Cllr AS carried
11.3
Approval of staff salaries Prop: Cllr Mrs RB 2nd Cllr AS carried
11.4 Management account report for August 2018 – Cllrs received a copy of the accounts – any queries email Cllr AS
11.5 Annual Return – Circulated to all Cllrs. The Clerk reported two issues raised, the wrongful inclusion of the tax base grant into the main income of the Council and the wrongful declaration of YES on the return due to the advertising of the right to inspect the accounts being made one day too early last year. The Council acknowledged the advices and outcome of the External Audit and thanked the Clerk/RFO for their diligence throughout the year.
11.6 Result of Tribunal v Pension Regulator – The Clerk explained the NEST pension scheme had returned 7 out of 11 payments but refused to give any reason for this. As a result of the payments not being finalised, the Pension Regulator fined the Council

Page 54

£400 for late payment of the contributions. The Clerk appealed this decision on the basis that the payments had been made in a timely manner but NEST had returned the money without explanation. This matter went to Tribunal which found in favour of WWPC stating it was clear that the Council had made the payments initially and had taken steps to resolve the matter. The Council thanked the Clerk for her persistence and diligence in dealing with this matter.
11.7 Moved to confidential session
11.8 Date of next meeting – 9th October 2018

12. Highways, Environment and Emergency Committee – Cllr CM
12.1 Chairman’s report – noted. The Flood Action Group were planning an awareness day at the end of November and the Conservation Group were meeting on Thursday 4th October.
12.2 Emergency Plan – moved to confidential
12.2.1
Recommendation to adopt the reviewed and amended Emergency Plan Prop Cllr CM 2nd Cllr
12.3 Date of next meeting – 23rd October 2018

13. Community Facilities Committee – Cllr AP
13.1 Chairman’s update – The Dovehouse play area refurbishment would commence 8th October. The budget had been agreed and sent to the Finance Committee for consideration. The successes of the member clubs of the Wellesbourne Sports Association were commended. The Community Asset status on the Village Hall by SDC continued to hold up the release of the lease. The Council solicitor had been instructed to complete the land off the Newbold Road lease and the selected company had been instructed to carry out the topographical survey on this land. The queries raised on the Dog Close lease relating to the easements and SUDS remained outstanding.
13.2 Wellesbourne Sports Association/Sec106 – Cllrs Prior and Shepherd were to meet representatives from WSA to discuss the Sec106 money on 4th October.
13.3 Cllrs agreed that it would be beneficial to the village if WWPC took responsibility for the open spaces at The Grange, not including the SUDS. Recommendation to accept Persimmon Homes offer of the open spaces east and west of Ettington Road together with the commuted sum in due course. Prop Cllr AP 2nd Cllr Mrs RB carried
13.4 Village Hall draft lease – Moved to confidential
13.5 Planters in precinct – Due to the closure of Wellesbourne in Bloom WWPC agreed to take ownership of the planters with a maintenance schedule of monthly checks by the Council Handyman and the planting/watering carried out by the Precinct Improvement group.
13.6 Date of next meeting – 20th November 2018

14. Office & Staffing Committee – Cllr RB
14.1 Chairman’s report – noted
14.2 Parenting Project – approach to base a counselling service at the offices on Friday mornings. Cllrs agreed to offer a 12mth licence to the team subject to the approval of the Landlord. Prop Cllr Mrs Bolton, 2nd Cllr AS carried

Migration of office operating systems to CLOUD & email changes – update Clerk – The office was now working on CLOUD but the finance shared file was still in the process of transfer. Once the Year End finalised the accounts could be completed and uploaded to CLOUD.
14.3 The Clerk had written to Royal Mail to complain about the delivery of mail for the precinct flats being posted at the offices. There had also been complaints from Walton that post for Wellesbourne was being delivered to Walton addresses.
14.4 Date of next meeting – 12th November 2018

15. Non-Council members of committees – Cllr AP – moved to confidential session

16. Wellesbourne and Walton News – Cllr AP
Proposed contents – Christmas lights, Number 6 bus route, Traffic problems
Chairman’s report – Cllr AP

17. Cllr and Clerk Exchange of Information
Neighbourhood Watch had been asked to redact the statement given on NHW publications that WWPC endorse the traders advertising in the Index – this had been confirmed.

18. Items/reports for the next meeting by 25th October 2018

19. Date of next meeting – 6th November 2018

Table of monthly meeting dates
Full Council 6th November 2018
Highways/Environment/Emergency committee 23rd October 2018
Finance 9th October 2018
Community Facilities committee 20th November 2018
Office & Staffing committee 12th November 2018

Page 55

Under section 100A of the Local Government Act 1972, in view of the confidential nature of the business about to be transacted, it is advisable in the public interest, as if members of the public were present during the consideration of such business, there would be disclosure to them of exempt information under paras 1 and 11 and Part 1 Schedule 12A of the said Act, that the public will be excluded
CONFIDENTIAL:

Item 11.7 Recommendation to increase the RFO’s hours to one day per week with immediate effect
Following discussion, it was agreed that insufficient notice had been given at this meeting and the item was moved to the next Finance Committee and Extra ordinary meeting of the Council agendas.

Item 12.2 Emergency Plan – As the private contact numbers had not been redacted this item was moved to confidential.
Cllr Mann left the meeting
It was agreed to adopt the unredacted document with agreed changes. To be posted to the Councillor shared document file (when set up) and Councillors were to be given a folder copy of the confidential plan. Prop Cllr CM,2nd Cllr AP carried

Item 13.4 Village Hall
Cllrs considered the draft lease for the Management of the hall and addressed queries raised. The document would be returned to the Council’s solicitor for amendment/advise before coming back to the committee for discussion. Once Cllrs have approved the draft document it would be sent to the Village Hall Management Committee for their consideration.

Item 15. Committee members – public membership
It was noted that all non-council members had been informed when joining the committees that the Code of Conduct/Nolan Principles applied to them and were given a copy of the documents for reference. Cllrs agreed a non-council member be removed from all committees with immediate effect due to misconduct under the Code.
Action: Write to the non-council member informing them of the Council decision of removal for misconduct from all committees with immediate effect By Clerk
There being no further business to discuss the meeting closed at 9.50pm.

Chairman: Cllr Mrs Prior

Signed A Prior

Date 6/11/18
(completed 9.10.18)

Page 56

Scroll To Top