Highways, Environment & Emergency Committee meeting, 24/07/2018 – minutes

WELLESBOURNE and WALTON PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes for a meeting of the Highways/Environment/Emergency Committee of the Council on Tuesday
24th July 2018 at 7.30pm at the Parish Council Office at 2 School Road, Wellesbourne

Present: Chairman: Cllr Mrs Michael Councillors: Barritt, Mrs Bolton, Jackson, Mann, Shepherd,
Clerk: Mrs Scriven Non- Council members: Mrs Cook Members of public: 2

1. Welcome

2. Apologies for Absence – Cllr Mrs Prior, Mr Lawley

3. Confirmation of the order of the Agenda – 9.3.1 correspondence is speedwatch not park it right – move to 9.4.1
Item 13 remove as no papers, add item 9.8 correspondence bus service – agreed

4. Identification of any items that might be resolved for confidential session – none

5. Declarations of Interest
Cllr Mrs Michael declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to flood action group as a member.
Cllr Jackson declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to item 10.3 Ettington Park as a resident & a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to Chestnut Square as spouse is landlady of the Stags Head public house.
Cllr Barritt declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to item 10.3 Ettington Park as a resident.

6. Confirmation of the Minutes of the HEE Committee meeting, 12th June 2018 – remove Mr Isted as not present.
Item 9.3 ref U3a, remove in this manner & change to unreasonably. Agreed with amendments.

7. Matters arising (not included in the agenda)
7.1 Dog/litter bins at Ettington Park–The Clerk spoke with Mr Peters (MD Persimmon) following response to correspondence from WWPC raising concern about no provision for litter and dog foul waste bins on Ettington Park. Whilst the written response had been negative, following the conversation the MD agreed to place one of each bin at the site of the children’s play area, to be arranged by Persimmon via the estate management contractor Greenbelt. Mr Peters had pointed out that this was not a requirement of planning and therefore he was under no legal obligation to do so. Councillors were delighted that progress had been made.
Action: Check the Grange planning application for bin provision By: Office
7.2 WCC School Safety Zone and Routes (SSX&R) Programme update – Carolyn Burrows (WCC Officer for SSZ&R) confirmed the budget up to 2020/21 had already been set and there was currently no budget provision for Wellesbourne.
Cllrs noted that parking on the zig-zags at the school could not be enforced as there were no time zone signs at the site.
Action: Ask WCC to install time limit signs by zig-zags to permit SDC Enforcement to give out fines By: Office
7.3 Graffiti removal update – SDC had confirmed they use their regular street cleaning teams for graffiti removal not specialist cleaning providers. Graffiti on WWPC property could be dealt with by the Handyman.
7.4 30mph roundels speed markings on Charlecote Road – There had been no further update from WCC
7.5 The erratic opening of the Waste Management Site was considered following complaints relating to unexpected closure during opening hours. It was agreed that a sign annotating the reason for closure would be helpful.
Action: Ask Waste Depot to place sign giving reason to the public when unexpected closures occur By: Office

8. Open Session for members of the public to raise any matters of relevance to the Parish
Mr Hardy, Chestnut Square, raised concern about the inconsiderate parking in Chestnut Square causing obstruction to emergency vehicles and had made suggestions in correspondence to the Council of how this might be prevented. He said that many vehicles were parking on the footway in Church Walk and complained that overgrowth of vegetation from properties in the area were preventing parking in some areas.
Action: write to property owners requesting overhanging vegetation be removed. By: Office
Miss McDonaugh, Mountford Close, said a larger traffic direction sign was not required at the school as it was not being missed – people were choosing to ignore it. The Police had been at the Close but she felt they were concentrating their efforts in the wrong area and that more attention should be paid to the opposite end from the little school.

9. Highways issues
9.1 Wellesbourne Distribution Park meeting with site Manager update & 9.1.1 Out of hours noise and anti-social behaviour by WDP HGVs (dealt with together at the meeting)
Cllr CM had attempted to contact the owners of the site without success so visited the site and spoke to Mr Bates (Site Manager) who gave an out of hours contact number for use in the Emergency Plan. Councillors considered the possibility of organising meetings with the tenants to discuss out of operation hours disturbance and whilst some Councillors felt WWPC should approach the Manager directly, most felt it would be advantageous to foster good working relations with the site tenants who use the facility daily.
Action: Contact Mr Bates about signage issues and out of hours disturbances
Action: Ask Planning Enforcement to provide extract from planning permissions stating permitted operating hours By: Cllr Mrs Michael
By: Office

Page 33

9.2 Dangerous road layout by Sainsbury’s update Clerk – Lee Williams at WCC had responded to say WCC had no resources and could not act on perceived risk of danger. He advised that the situation be monitored by gathering of photographic evidence and recording incidents of concern. The Clerk said a Truvelo (Speed monitoring device) had been installed on the Loxley Road between the Millar Homes development and Dovehouse Drive.
Action: Request incidents witnessed by residents or Cllrs reported to the Clerk
Action: Request further information on the results of the Truvelo data WWNews/FBook
Clerk/Cllr SJ
9.3 Parking working party update Cllr SJ – The first meeting of the group had taken place looking at issues raised, photographic evidence and hot-spots for inconsiderate parking. Fire & Rescue to be contacted to request information on the parking campaign they were setting up and a list of priorities to be drawn up for consideration at the next meeting.
9.3.1 Park it Right campaign – Wellesbourne involvement update Cllr SJ – no update but Cllrs noted this campaign would include disabled bay parking also.
9.3.2 Correspondence Mr Hardy – parking in Chestnut Square – Cllrs agreed that items 1 & 5 in the correspondence were WCC responsibility. Cllrs were concerned that the introduction of yellow lines would remove further parking spaces in an already problematic area and introduction of parking permits for residents was costly and therefore WCC were not receptive to this idea. Cllrs said whilst parking on Bridge Street offered a form of traffic calming, WWPC had no authority to request residents park on Bridge Street to alleviate parking problems in Chestnut Square as suggested in the correspondence. It was suggested that the Fire Service can paint emergency access markings on the road, the working party would investigate this further.
9.3.3 Meeting with U3A update Cllr SJ – correspondence between Cllr SJ and U3A had been exchanged and a date was to be agreed
9.4 Radar speed signs (VAS) update Cllr SJ – Quotes had been received from the sign company along with the criteria for installation and associated maintenance schedule and costs from WCC.
Speed watch campaign would supplement the VAS and Cllrs agreed WWPC should be involved in the scheme.
Action: Ask WCC for costings to install goods and set up maintenance contract
Action: Let SNT know WWPC wish to be part of the Speed Watch Campaign By: Office
By: Office
9.5 HGVs from CO-OP using Elliott Drive, complaints from residents on Facebook – Cllr CM – Cllrs agreed that HGVs should not be passing through residential estates where not necessary to do so.
Action: Write to Co-op asking them to advise their drivers and delivery drivers to use the A429 not residential esates. By: Office
9.6 Request from Wellesbourne C of E School for a bigger one-way traffic sign in Mountford Close – Cllr CM – Cllrs agreed that the sign could be made larger and noted the pledge of contribution to the cost of replacement sign from the school.
Action: Get quote for larger sign and contact school to confirm wording and funding prior to purchase. By: Office
9.7 Changes to X17 bus service complaints received – Cllrs noted that in the revised timetable Stratford Road is omitted and the new route goes to Ettington Park. Residents of Salmon Court were concerned they would be losing a service and were unable to walk to alternative bus stops. Stagecoach had confirmed that to alter the route to include Stratford Road would delay the services to other villages and towns and were therefore unwilling to include it.
Action: Notify Salmon Court of the UBUS service By: Office
Request from Mrs Cook to install a new bus stop and shelter at the Co-op to Cllr Parry – it was noted there was already a bus stop and therefore only a shelter was required.
Action: Letter to Cllr Parry requesting a bus shelter only and a letter to the PC requesting any bus shelter provided by WCC grant if successful, be adopted for future maintenance and ownership by WWPC. By:
Mrs Cook

10. Environment issues
10.1 Public rights of way update Cllr Mrs RB – The footpath routes were walked with the Lengthsman who had undertaken clearance works on the path from Lowes Lane to Walton Way, White Bridge to Charlecote including some levelling of uneven parts of the footpath. Clearance of Kineton Road to the Watermill and Moreton Morrell Road still to be done.
10.2 Lengthsman Scheme – the Clerk gave a summary of the works undertaken by the Lengthsman to date.
10.3 Health & Safety of Sub Urban Drainage Systems on Ettington Park/Cozens Street – update Cllr RB – Concern was raised regarding the safety of the SUDS as during extended rainfall the water pools quite deeply in the area running alongside the whole of the children’s play area with unprotected steep and slippery banks. Another meeting with Persimmon had been requested by the Residents Association to discuss responsibility and safety of the SUDS. The traffic island to the Grange was now lit and signs had been erected urging development HGVs to enter the site via this route not the Ettington Park estate, and Kelly’s contractors were back on site to make up the roads for adoption by WCC.

10.4 Anti-social behaviour – police priority update Clerk – PC Stapleton had confirmed the SNT were currently focussed on anti-social behaviour locally, including targeting misuse of cars, drug and drink abuse and criminal damage.
10.5 New Dog Enforcement Role at Stratford District Council – update Cllr CM said Mr Rafferty had taken over as DogEnforcement Technician at SDC and was willing to attend the Council meeting in September, as well as site visiting Mountford and Dovehouse play areas.
10.6 Broken lighting in underpass to Dovehouse -Dr Gledhill’s letter to Herald – Cllrs noted their thanks to Dr Gledhill for the supporting letter he had sent regarding the considerable time it was taking to repair the lighting and tiling at the site.
10.7 House sale/let advertising boards – complaints from residents & consideration of Council
policy – Cllr CM/Clerk – Councillors agreed that this was becoming a problem across the village

Page 34

Action: Write to WCC asking what their policy is on advertising boards on verges and village greens By Office

11. Emergency issues
11.1 Visit from Sam Collins, CWS Resilience update Cllr CM – Mr Collins had suggested a table-top exercise to test the plan once approved as well as examining and advising on the Emergency Boxes.
11.2 Revised Emergency Plan update – Cllr CM said Mr Collins had confirmed the revised plan was comprehensive with some suggested amendments required and written permission was to be sought from all persons listed in accord with new Data Protection regulations.
11.3 Flood Action Group update – the group had met on July 9th with the next meeting scheduled for August 6th. The next Multi-Agency meeting will be in September.

12. Conservation Working Party
12.1 Minutes of working party – 13th June 2018 – noted
12.2 Reinstatement of the phone box at Walton and maintenance of phone box in Chestnut Square – no update, reminder sent to British Telecom.
12.3 Date of next Conservation Working Party meeting 25th July 2018 – noted

13. Budget Review 2018/2019 – no papers so carried forward to next meeting.

14. Councillor, Clerk and non Council members of Committee exchange of information
Cllr Mrs Bolton – Loxley Road surface requires making good after the development completion as road badly scarred and the surface of Warwick Road before the Newbold Road junction requires attention.
Stones on footway from the Cherry Trees require clearance and overhanging vegetation from Carleon continues to be a problem.
Razors were observed pouring cement coloured liquid across the footway into the gutter from their shop premises and they should be made aware this is not appropriate.
Wellesbourne Wheelers were to be commended for their strict rules on road.
Cllr Jackson – Persimmon had opened up a hole large enough to fit two cars through from Walton Road. Clerk to check planning.
Mrs Cook – noted an anti-social behaviour incident at the Conservative Club to which an ambulance and the Police attended.
Cllr Mann – Speed on Loxley Road continued to cause difficulties for pedestrians as no refuge island had been placed where the footway changes to the opposite side of the road.
Clerk – Bollard at the top of the old Warwick Road had been broken off leaving the area vulnerable to both boy/girl racers and traveller vehicles.

15. Date of next meeting – 11th September 2018

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting closed at 9.40pm

Chairman Cllr Michael

Signed Christine Michael

Date 11.9.18

Page 35