Highways, Environment & Emergency Committee meeting, 12/06/2018 – minutes

WELLESBOURNE and WALTON PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes for a meeting of the Highways/Environment/Emergency Committee of the Council on Tuesday 12th June 2018 at 7.30pm at the Parish Council Office at 2 School Road, Wellesbourne

Present: Chairman: Cllr Mrs Michael Councillors: Barritt, Mrs Bolton, Jackson, Mrs Prior
Clerk: Mrs Scriven Non Council members: Mrs Cook Members of public: 2

1. Welcome

2. Election of a Vice Chairman
Cllr Jackson nominated, there were no other nominations Prop: Cllr Mrs RB, 2nd Cllr AP carried
The Chairman thanked Cllr Mrs Bolton for her support as Vice Chairman in the past year.

3. Apologies for Absence – Cllr Shepherd, Mr Lawley

4. Confirmation of the order of the Agenda -add bus stops to matters arising as 8.6 – agreed

5. Identification of any items that might be resolved for confidential session – none

6. Declarations of Interest
Cllr Mrs Michael declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to the Flood Action Group as a member
Cllr Jackson declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to Ettington Park as a resident
Cllr Barritt declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to Ettington Park as a resident

7. Confirmation of the Minutes of the Highways, Environment and Emergency Committee meeting, 24th April 2018 –
Item 7.5 30mph add “Charlecote” Road, item 10.1 Rights of way will be Lengthsman not Handyman. Prop Cllr SJ, 2nd Cllr RB,
accepted with amendments.

8. Matters arising (not included in the agenda)
8.1 Dog/litter bins at Ettington Park update – Clerk/Cllr Barritt – Following discussion with SDC and Cllr Parry, it was clear that SDC would not fund bins on the estate. Cllr Barritt asked that WWPC consider purchase of bins and an emptying schedule. The Clerk reported that as there were no bins on the original planning application there is no obligation for the developer to provide these and noted there was no WWPC budget for purchase or emptying of bins.
Action: Letter to Persimmon requesting a meeting to discuss the decision not to provide bins on such a large housing development.
Action: Check on provision of bins at The Grange and Miller Homes By: Office

By: Office
8.2 WCC School Safety Zone and Routes Programme 208/19 update – No dialogue could be opened as informed no budget. Cllrs agreed Cllr AP to follow this up with a letter to WCC saying that WWPC would like to be involved in the 2019 forward planning and budget setting.
Action: Letter to WCC requesting involvement in the forward planning and budget setting for 2019 By: Cllr AP
8.3 Graffiti removal update – Cllr CM – no further progress had been made.
Action: Ask who WCC/SDC use for graffiti removal By: Office
8.4 30mph roundels speed markings on Charlecote Road – update Clerk – WCC response was that they no longer consider roundels necessary.
8.5 Pedestrian crossing upgrade Kineton Road – Clerk – WCC had confirmed the crossing controls were operating correctly but they had adjusted the timing to allow more time to cross and would consider an upgrade next financial year.
8.6 Bus stops – It was noted there were no timetables at the bus stops informing whether the buses included the Dovehouse estate or not.
Action: Strongly worded letter to Mr Burd at Stagecoach raising this unsatisfactory matter By: Office

9. Open Session for members of the public to raise any matters of relevance to the Parish
Mr Whiteley attended on behalf of Wellesbourne U3A and a letter received from WWPC raising concern regarding long stay
parking in the Village Hall car park by U3A members; he confirmed U3A were not using the facility unreasonably and offered to
meet with the committee to discuss further.

10. Review of Terms of Reference (TORs) – Accepted without amendment – Prop Cllr Mrs RB, 2nd Cllr AP carried.

11. Highways issues
11.1 Signage costs at Wellesbourne Distribution Park (WDP)correspondence– update Cllr CM – it was noted there had been
no further improvement in signage from the direction of Barford to the WDP. Whilst County Highways state no additional notices
can be added to the existing boards without compromising their impact resistance it was noted that the developers had installed
metal signs to the boards and despite the Clerk notifying them of this matter, the signs remained in situ. Cllrs noted that a large
new entrance sign had been installed on the traffic island and a new bridge style sign had been installed at the entrance of WDP.
Action: Seek a further meeting with the Manager of WDP Cllr CM

Page 20

11.2 Dangerous road layout by Sainsbury’s – update Clerk
WCC Highways reaffirmed that there is no evidence of the road layout being dangerous and therefore no action was proposed. Cllrs discussed the problems caused by the Waste Depot closing at inopportune times and the bus stop backing up traffic to the entrance of Sainsbury’s and agreed the response from WCC to be unsatisfactory.
Action: Write to WCC stating response unsatisfactory and request a traffic survey
Action: Post on Facebook page request for evidence of the Waste Depot being closed during official open times By: Office
By Cllr AP
11.3 Parking in the village – set up of a parking working party – Cllrs SJ, RB, AP & Mrs Cook agreed to join the working party – first meeting to be arranged.
11.3.1 Parking article in Coventry Evening Telegraph relating to problems with parking at schools – noted
11.3.2 Park it Right campaign – Wellesbourne involvement (raising awareness) – WP to discuss further.
11.3.3 Parking in the village: letters to the U3A & Johnsons Coaches/WCC to maintain footways on routes
to schools – letters sent, WWPC to meet with U3A representatives
11.4 Radar speed signs – update Cllr SJ said there was significant funding for Police Forces including Warwickshire including ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition). Bishops Tachbrook had recently undertaken a Speed Watch campaign and found 70% of vehicles were travelling above the speed limit.
Action: Write to Philip Seccombe asking that Wellesbourne be included in the Speed Watch campaign.
Action: Request quotes for the Speed Watch Radar Speed signs By: Office

By: Cllr SJ

12. Environment issues
12.1 Public rights of way – update Cllr Mrs RB – to meet with the Lengthsman and review footpaths
12.2 Lengthsman Scheme – the Clerk gave a summary of the works undertaken by the Lengthsman
12.3 Painting of the bus shelter in Chestnut Square update – a special paint/anti graffiti combo had been
sourced and the work was to commence next week (weather permitting)
12.4 Anti-social behaviour update from the Community Forum – update Cllr CM – Anti-social behaviour, speeding and burglary were the three police priorities this month. PC Stapleton reported engagement with local businesses and the schools re drug misuse and making of informed choices.
Action: Cllr AP to meet PC Stapleton do discuss further
12.5 Health & Safety of the Sub Urban Drainage Systems (Ettington Park/Cozens Street) – update Cllr RB – Mr Jones from SDC Environmental Services had carried out a site visit and Persimmon had been asked for a Risk Assessment showing area accords with the building of SUDS. Cllrs agreed that due to the depth of the SUDS that life rings should be provided on site.

13. Emergency issues
13.1 Revised Emergency Plan template for discussion and approval at August Full Council – Cllr CM –
comments to Cllr CM by 12th July. Mr Knibbs from CWS (Coventry & Warwickshire) to meet with Cllrs 29th June. Once the plan
had been approved a public version would be produced for residents.
13.2 Parish Council stand at Street Fayre feedback – The CWS were not available to attend but had
supplied some booklets for the stand.
13.3 Flood Action Group (FAG) update – Cllr CM raised her concern at the misunderstanding by a Cllr that WWPC were
leading the group. Cllr CM clarified that the group was resident led with backing from the Flood Forum and that she was a
member of the group as a resident. She explained that there had been a multi agency meeting where the Chairman of the Parish
Council had attended along with the Environment Agency, County Council and other relevant bodies who were questioned about
the flood alleviation works carried out by each authority to date.

14. Conservation Working Party
14.1 PC stand at the Street Fayre – there were many promotional leaflets given out regarding trees and emergency planning, and there had been 53 entries into the competition to win a tree, and as well as several colouring competition entries. Cllr CM thanked the volunteers for their assistance on the stall.
14.2 Reinstatement of the phone box at Walton and maintenance of phone box in Chestnut Square – update Clerk – no
suitable replacement had been sourced at this time and a reminder to BT had been sent. It was noted that the phone box in
Chestnut Square was in need of painting and a request for this had been sent to BT.
14.3 Date of next Conservation Working Party meeting Wednesday 13th June 2018 at Simmons Cottage, Church Street

15. Councillor, Clerk and non Council members of Committee exchange of information
Cllr Mrs RB – temporary traffic lights at the island at Ettington Park were operating at weekends when no work was taking place
Cllr RB – asked if there had been any response from SDC Enforcement yet about the noise on the Distribution Park
Cllr AP – At the Flood Action Group spoke to Jeff Morris (WCC) asking him to look into the flooding in the precinct area
Clerk – Overgrowth from the Village Hall car park had been cut back at the rear of Razors as it had obstucted their fire exit

16. Date of next meeting – 24th July 2018

There being no further business, the meeting closed at 9.45pm

Chairman Cllr Mrs Michael

Signed Christine Michael

Date 24.7.18

Page 21