Full Council meeting, 05/06/2018 – minutes

The minutes for the Meeting of the Council on Tuesday 5th June 2018 at 7.30 pm at the Methodist Hall in Bridge Street Wellesbourne

Present: Chairman: Cllr Mrs Prior Councillors: Barritt, Mrs Bartlett, Mrs Bolton, Jackson, Kendall, Mann, Mrs Michael, Shepherd Clerk: Mrs Scriven District/County Cllrs: 2 Members of public: 10

1. Welcome and announcements
The Chairman announced the sudden and sad news that Mr Adrian Wickens had died. Mr Wickens had been instrumental in
assisting with the Parish Plan and more recently for his contribution to the Neighbourhood Plan. He was known to be a very kind
and considerate man who worked hard to contribute to the parish and will be sadly missed.
The Chairman announced the sad news that Mrs Iris Herwin had passed away peacefully at the age of 97. Mrs Herwin had
attended Parish Council meetings for many years and was a keen supporter of Chedham’s Yard and many other organisations. She
was a well known character in the Parish and who would be missed by many who knew her.

2. Approval for Apologies of Absence – none

3. Declarations of Interest
Cllr Mrs Prior declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to WSCC as a Trustee.
Cllr Jackson declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to WSCC as a Trustee.
Cllr Kendall declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to WSCC as a Trustee.

4. Confirmation of the order of the agenda – add at item 13.4 a recommendation to devolve discussion for the Section 106 document to the Clerk, Vice Chairman and Chairman, renumber 11.8.1 as 11.7.2 – agreed

5. Identification of any items that might be resolved for confidential session – none

6. Confirmation of the minutes of the Council Meetings of the Full Council
3rd April 2018 – Item 14.1 date should read “data” – Agreed Prop Cllr DK, 2nd Cllr RM
10th April 2018 – Cllr Barritt said the person relating to item 8 was his daughter in law. Agreed Prop Cllr AS, 2nd Cllr Mrs RB
1st May 2018 – Agreed Prop Cllr SJ, 2nd Cllr AS

7. Matters arising
Cllr Mrs Bartlett said she was shocked and disappointed to have been side stepped over the Walton sewers. In a recent letter from
Marcus Faulkner (agent for Walton Estate) copied to the Clerk it had become apparent that the Estate did not know of her
involvement with regards to the problems with foul waste polluting the gardens and rivers, furthermore she had not been kept
informed of correspondence with Severn Trent Water and now requested copies of this correspondence.
The Clerk confirmed that Walton Estate were aware of Cllr Bartlett’s involvement both as a Councillor and resident of Walton as
she had contacted them for permission for Cllr Bartlett, Mr Bones from Warwickshire County Council and herself to carry out a
site visit and collect photographs of the existing sewer. The Clerk also confirmed that now the task of getting Severn Trent to
accept liability for the installation of a new public sewer had been achieved the involvement of WWPC had ceased as Severn
Trent were working directly with the Landowner and that she would write to Walton Estate correcting their misunderstanding.
Action: Write to Mr Faulkner at Walton Estate and send evidence of Cllr Bartlett’s involvement By: Clerk

8. Open Session for members of the public to raise any matters of relevance to the Parish
Mr Diggins, Hopkins Way raised concern about the quality and lack of estate maintenance by Greenbelt.
Mr Rose, Grange Gardens promoted attendance at the Community Forum where there would be a presentation on the Medical
Centre progress and an address from Phillip Seccombe – Warwickshire Police & Crime Commissioner.
Mrs Dane, Newbold Road urged WCC to trim back the traffic islands around the village amid concerns of reduced visibility of oncoming traffic.

County Council matters
Cllr Mrs Parry
WCC had approved the SDC Transport Plan excluding the Eastern Relief Road
Cllr Parry had been appointed to the Adult Care & Social Health Committee
It was noted that 23% of appointments made with GPs were no-show by the patient or where the ailment could have successfully been treated by the Pharmacist
Carer’s week commences 11th June with promotion of services available to care providers
No updates had been received pertaining to the gravel quarry at Barford or the Education Strategy.
District Council matters
Cllr Mrs Parry -There had been a change of Leader at SDC due to the resignation of Cllr Chris Saint. Cllr Tony Jefferson had now taken over as SDC Leader.
Cllr Mrs Parry left the meeting
Cllr Kendall – nothing to add
Page 17

10. Planning
10.1 Applications
18/01362/LBC Remove modern single glazed window and infill with masonry. Render to match existing. Excave
ground below floors in Morning Room, Study and Inner Hall. Install new limecrete floor and floor
insulation. Bed new and salvaged stone flags into bedding screed.
At The Little House, 17 Chestnut Square Welllesbourne For Mr & Mrs Bottles
Planning officer Heather Kenny Date 7th June 2018
Supported this application as valid and necessary repair to keep the property in order
18/01226/FUL Single storey front extension to two storey semi detached house to enlarge kitchen and provide
entrance lobby.
At 3 Wellington Close, Wellesbourne For Mr & Ms Hazelwood
Planning officer Sarah Macpherson Date 8th June 2018
No objection
18/01256/FUL Single storey rear extension to a 3 storey detached house. Re-roofing singe storey store, WC and
scullery. Internal alterations to convert store and WC into wetroom.
At Welsburn, 8 Warwick Road, Wellesbourne For Mr Chris & Natalie Pearson
Planning officer Sarah Macpherson Date 8th June 2018
No objection
18/00694/TPO T1: Walnut tree shorten by 4 meters. T2,T3,T4: Prune fruit trees to the benefit of harvesting smaller quantities of fruit trees
At The Orchard, 79a Kineton Road, Wellesbourne For Mrs Jayne Gibson
Planning officer Assistant Planner Date 18th June 2018
No objection subject to the approval of the County Council Arboriculturalist
10.2 Neighbourhood Plan
10.2.1 Report John Hargis – noted. The agreed amendments had now been incorporated into the report and SDC had confirmed the word “Draft” could be removed from the document. Due to the speed all parties had completed their part of the plan work, it could now be returned to SDC before 20th June which would could potentially bring forward the Referendum to September.
10.3 Date of next Area Planning Meetings: 5th June, 20th June 2018

11. Finance Committee – Cllr AS
11.1 Chairman’s update – Cllr Barritt was welcomed to the committee as vice chairman and Cllr Mrs Michael thanked for her support in the role in the previous year.
Approval of monthly accounts as per attached cheque list Prop Cllr DK, 2nd Cllr AS carried
Approval of staff salaries Prop Cllr Mrs RB, 2nd Cllr DK carried
Recommendation from the Finance Committee that Council seeks payment from the Wellesbourne Sports & Community Centre and MUGA in respect of the insurance of the buildings in accordance with the terms of the lease granted to the charity Prop Cllr AS
2nd Cllr VB
Recommendation from the Finance Committee that Council seeks payment from the Wellesbourne Village Hall Management Committee in respect of the insurance of the buildings and in accordance with the terms of the lease when granted to the charity. Prop Cllr AS
2nd Cllr RM
11.6 Internal Auditor – update Clerk
The second half year audit was complete and the report awaited.
11.7 Annual Return– The Clerk explained the completion process of the Annual Return, how all matters detailed within the Governance Statement were complied with and how the RFO/Finance Assistant had compiled the Accounting Statement from the year ending accounts.
Recommendation from the Finance Committee to accept the Year End Governance Statement for 2017/2018 Prop Cllr Shepherd, 2nd Cllr Jackson carried
Recommendation from the Finance Committee to accept the Accounting Statement for 2017/2018 Prop Cllr Shepherd, 2nd Cllr Mrs Bolton – carried
11.9 Barclays Bank closure notice correspondence (& Clerk’s response) Letter of complaint from resident Mrs Black – Concern
had been raised about the closure of the local Barclays Bank and the impact on residents. A complaint had been made to the Bank
about the rudeness of the call handler and it had been agreed that the previousaccount manager would meet with Council
representatives upon his return from leave.
Page 18

12. Highways, Environment and Emergency Committee – Cllr CM
12.1 Chairman’s report – noted. Cllr Mrs Bartlett queried why WWPC had excluded members of the public from the Flood
Group. Cllr CM confirmed the flood meeting was run by a representative from the Flood Forum and the Flood Group was
resident led, not WWPC. A multi – agency meeting had been held where the Chairman of WWPC was quizzed about what action
WWPC had taken to date, along with representatives from the District & County Councils, Environment Agency and the Coventry
and Warwickshire Resilience Team. The residents who were not able to join the meeting were refused by the Flood Forum
representative as only members of the group who were members at that time were invited to the meeting.
12.2 Corrrespondence copy letter sent to MP by Mr & Mrs Gore (& Clerk’s responses) – Cllr Kendall to contact Mr & Mrs Gore
12.3 Date of next meeting 12th June 2018

13. Community Facilities Committee – Cllr AP
13.1 Chairman’s report – noted. A meeting had taken place with the Village Hall Management Committee to discuss issues
raised regarding a potential lease – a second meeting would be called once a draft lease had been produced. The leases for the
Village Hall and Newbold Road were now back with Walton Estate Solicitor although it was noted that there were still some
outstanding issues with the Dog Close lease due to the easement for sewage works, responsibility for the SUDS upkeep and
maintenance and the soil spoil issue to be resolved.
13.2 Christmas lights – Cllrs gave consideration to the extension of the light display
Recommendation to extend the preferred lighting display Prop Cllr AP, 2nd Cllr DL carried
Recommendation to write to SDC regarding the allocation of new build monies in the district Prop Cllr AP, 2nd Cllr AS carried
The Chairman raised her concern at hearing the allocation of New Build Bonus payments appeared to have excluded Wellesbourne & Walton parish. It was agreed the new leader of SDC Cllr Tony Jefferson should be asked to attend a meeting to explain how this was decided.
Action: Write to SDC Leader requesting a meeting with Cllrs By: Office
13.4 Date of next meeting – 19th June 2018

14. Office & Staffing Committee – Cllr RB
14.1 Chairman’s update – no update
14.2 Migration of office operating systems to CLOUD & email changes – update Clerk – EDGE were completing the transfer of
Cllr email addresses prior to the migration to CLOUD and the office staff were to meet do decide which documents should be
14.3 Date of next meeting – to be confirmed

15. Index 2018 – Cllr RB
15.1 Chairman’s update – The linage was now ready to go to the printer which would be followed shortly by the adverts and the
revised map

16. Wellesbourne and Walton News – Cllr AP
Proposed contents:
Chairman’s report – Cllr AP Barclays Bank closure New email addresses for the Council/Councillors
Drug abuse in the village Iris Herwin (memories of) Lease update Community Forum

17. Cllr and Clerk Exchange of Information
Cllr Barritt – Ettington Park Residents Association has a website for anyone interested in estate matters
Cllr Jackson – Drug abuse in the village, PC Stapleton was to make contact but had not to date
Cllr Mrs Michael – considerable effort had been made to improve signage to the Distribution Park which now had a new sign
Cllr Mrs Bartlett – Concerned to note that coaches were still driving through the middle of Walton village and the potholes on
the road to Walton had not been repaired. The signs advising the z bend were again obscured by foliage.
Cllr Mrs Prior – Street fayre would be taking place on Saturday and grateful thanks were given in anticipation of help on the day.

18. Items/reports for the next meeting by 21st June

Table of monthly meeting dates
Full Council 3rd July 2018
Highways/Environment/Emergency committee 12th June 2018
Finance 10th July 2018
Community Facilities committee 19th June 2018
Office & Staffing committee (to be confirmed)

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting closed at 9.15pm

Chairman Cllr Mrs Prior Signed A Prior Date 3/7/18
Page 19