WELLESBOURNE and WALTON PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes for a meeting of the Highways/Environment/Emergency Committee of the Council on Tuesday 24th April 2018 at 7.30pm at the Parish Council Office at 2 School Road, Wellesbourne

Present: Chairman: Cllr Mrs Michael Councillors: Barritt, Mrs Bolton, Jackson, Mann, Mrs Prior Clerk: Mrs Scriven
Non Council members: Mrs Cook Members of public: 11

1. Welcome

2. Apologies for Absence – Non Council member – Mr Lawley

3. Confirmation of the order of the Agenda – add late correspondence to item 9.2.1 Chestnut Square
Add 30mph speed roundels/speed aware notices at 9.5 and late correspondence to item 9.6 –Mr Lawley – Agreed

4. Identification of any items that might be resolved for confidential session – none

5. Declarations of Interest
Cllr Mrs Michael declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to item 11.1 as a member of the Flood Action Group
Cllr Mrs Prior declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to item 9.6 as live near to the site
Cllr Jackson declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to the Chestnut Square parking as fiancé is Land Lady of the Stags Head public house.

6. Confirmation of the Minutes of the Highways, Environment and Emergency Committee meeting, 20th March 2018
Last line page 111, should read “reminded” not informed. Prop Cllr AP, 2nd Cllr RB, accepted with amendment.

7. Matters arising (not included in the agenda)
7.1 Dog/litter bins at Ettington Park update Clerk – A request was made to SDC and the Developers to install bins on the new estate. SDC confirmed that it would be the responsibility of the developer to purchase and install bins and Charles Church/Persimmon state this responsibility was not included in the planning and therefore is not their responsibility.
It was noted that letters had been sent to both parties from the Residents Association of which Cllrs Barritt, Kendall and Jackson were members. It was declared that the three were acting as residents and not in their capacity as Councillors.
Action: Clerk to write to Charles Church/Persimmon requesting they install bins on the site By: Office
7.2 WCC School Safety Zone and Routes Programme update Cllr Prior – no update
7.3 Graffiti removal update –Cllr CM – Previously the Community Payback Team had carried out this clearance and Mr Hicks from the newly named Unpaid Work Team would be carrying out a site visit to assess the level of graffiti removal required and quote for the removal service.
7.4 Wall by the white bridge update Clerk – As the wall had fallen inward of the owner’s property, it was considered not to be a health and safety issue. The fence installed by the Council to prevent accidental access to the river had been vandalised but was now reinstated.
7.5 30mph speed markings on Charlecote Road update Clerk – These had been requested of WCC Highways and response was awaited.
7.6 Chevron signs on A429 Charlecote roundabout & light beacon damage Clerk – both sign and beacon had been reported to WCC.
7.7 Pedestrian crossing upgrade Kineton Road – Clerk – A request for upgrade to the Kineton Road crossing had been made to WCC. The upgrade from Pelican to Puffin would give more time for pedestrians to cross as they do not change to green until the person has cleared the crossing (denoted by a sensor)

8. Open Session for members of the public to raise any matters of relevance to the Parish
Miss McDonaugh, Mountford Close, raised ongoing concern about the amount of traffic at the school. She reported that one car
refused to abide by the one way system and when approached, the driver made it clear they had no intention of driving round the
close as the space could be taken by another driver in the meantime.
Mr Lavers, 1 Hammond Green, agreed with the addition of 30mph roundels on Charlecote Road stating it was very difficult to cross the road coming
into the village. He asked if there were any planning conditions in the conservation area that would prevent commercial vehicles
parking at a domestic property.
Mr Troth, Chestnut Square asked if the correspondence from Mr Hardy was in the public domain. The Clerk explained that this
was a dialogue between her and Mr Hardyy in relation to the parking in the Square. (agenda item 9.3.1)
Ms Hunter, Chestnut Square raised concern about the lack of parking in the Square which she felt was exacerbated by the parking
of commercial vehicles.
Mrs Harland, Church Walk said the parking of commercial vehicles on Chestnut Square was causing the ruination of the
remaining old village charm and should be stopped.
Mr England, Church Walk suggested yellow lines stating the difficulties for emergency vehicles getting to Church Walk and the
danger for residents if they were prevented access due to inconsiderate parking.
Cllr AP suggested that perhaps the residents should set up a Residents Association where these concerns could be raised.

9. Highways issues
9.1 Signage at Wellesbourne Distribution Park correspondence and next steps update Cllr CM – It was agreed that there was still a problem with lorries missing the Distribution Park and that another meeting should be arranged & costings sought.
Page 6
ACTION: A meeting with the Distribution Park Manager to be arranged
ACTION: Costings for a replacement sign to include a lorry symbol to be sought By: Cllr Mrs Michael
By: Office
9.2 Correspondence Mr Davies – consideration of lack of parking in the parish Cllr CM – Cllrs considered the points raised in the letter and discussed how all elements of difficulty with the parking could be addressed. It was agreed that a working party should be formed to discuss all options.
ACTION: Set up a working party to discuss all options for improving parking in the village By: HEE Committee (12.6.18)
9.3 Parking in Chestnut Square Cllr CM – As a result of complaints regarding the obstruction of the highway in Chestnut Square the Clerk wrote to all residents of the Square and Church Walk raising the dangers of obstruction of the highway. She also contacted the Fire Service and Police to inform them of the difficulties caused by careless parking.
9.3.1 Correspondence Mr Hardy – obstruction of the highway – Mr Hardy had written to the Clerk in response to her letter to ask if all owners of vehicles obstructing the access to Chestnut Square would be written to, the Clerk confirmed this was the case.
9.4 Flyer for radar speed signs – it was agreed that further information should be sought and a quote for the unit.
Action: Contact company for a quote and further information By: Office
9.5 Pothole in Bridge Street update Clerk – WCC highways dept had confirmed the repair to the road and kerb sets had been done as quickly as possible to avoid accident and the sets were to be replaced in the new financial year.
It was noted there was a deep pothole at Walton on the approach to the bend by number 10, reported to WCC highways dept.
9.6 Correspondence – road layout by WCC depot/waste site/Sainsbury’s – Mr Lawley
Cllrs considered the concerns raised by Mr Lawley relating to the road being blocked when skip lorries attend the waste site resulting in vehicles driving on the wrong side of the road heading into oncoming traffic. Cllrs were concerned that the waste site hours of operation were once again not being adhered to with early closures and late opening and this was not an isolated incident.
Action: Arrange a meeting with WCC safety officer to discuss road layout by Sainsbury’s store By: Office

10. Environment issues
10.1 Public rights of way update Cllr Mrs RB – A walk of footpaths would be undertaken with the Lengthsman shortly who now has the new waymarkers.
10.2 Repair of tiles in underpass update Clerk – response from WCC still awaited. Cllr CM raised the possibility of mural painting to make the area less intimidating as seen in more urban underpasses.
Action: Chase WCC for a date for commencement of repair of the underpass tiles
Action: More information on urban murals to be sought By: Office
By: Cllr CM
10.3 Lengthsman Scheme update Clerk – A summary of the work undertaken to date was provided.
10.4 Painting of the bus shelter in Chestnut Square update Clerk – As the Council contactor did not have time to strip back the old paint in the shelter the Clerk advised this was a job that could be carried out under the Lengthsman Scheme.
Action: Lengthsman to carry out the clean and repainting of the shelter Prop Cllr CM 2nd Cllr AP carried
10.5 Health & Safety of the Sub Urban Drainage Systems (SUDS) (Ettington Park/Cozens Street) – Cllr Barritt raised concern about the open nature of the SUDS and accessibility to children. SDC had agreed that there was an element of risk and had asked Persimmon for a copy of their risk assessment after youngsters were found playing in the pool and Persimmon were to send out a Technician to review the site.

11. Emergency issues
11.1 Wellesbourne & Walton Flood Forum update – There had been a meeting of the Flood Action Group on 26th March, next a multi-agency meeting would take place. On 5th June Joshua Dennis (WCC Flood Team) would be holding a Summer Flood event addressing the requirements of riparian ownership and maintenance of watercourses.
11.2 Emergency Resources form & covering letter– Cllr CM presented documents to be sent to organisations requesting their
consent to hold their information on the Emergency Plan.
11.4 Parish Council stand at Street Fayre – Cllr CM – Coventry & Warwickshire Resilience Team would be with the PC stand
this year raising awareness of all emergency issues.

12. Conservation Working Party
12.1 PC stand at the Street Fayre – Cllr CM – Trees are to be this year’s theme with a competition and leaflets relating to trees in the parish. The Woodland Trust would also be contributing some material for the stall.
12.2 Reinstatement of the phone box at Walton – update Clerk – the phone box had not yet been reinstated.
12.3 Date of next Conservation Working Party meeting 25th April 2018 at Simmons Cottage, Church Street – noted

13. Councillor, Clerk and non Council members of Committee exchange of information
Cllr AP – outstanding clearance of the planted area adjacent to the Mountford sports field
Cllr SJ – concern had been expressed by a member of public about cutting down trees at the back of the Bowls Club
Cllr Mrs RB – asked if the information at the bus stops had not been updated for the Council to write to Stagecoach and complain

14. Date of next meeting – 12th June 2018
No further business to discuss, the meeting closed at 9.27pm

Councillor Mrs Michael Signed Christine Michael Date 12.6.18 (completed 4th May 2018)
Page 7